AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Fewer Shoppers Using Google and Poor ROI on Shopping Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been managing/running shopping campaigns for years, and the ROI has rapidly decreased over the last couple of years. The same campaigns in other search engines are doing better, but not great. I know much of this has to do with shopper trends, where only 15% of shoppers actually use a search engine first to start the purchase cycle (Source PDF: 2016 UPS Pulse of Online Shopping https://pressroom.ups.com/assets/pdf/2016_UPS_Pulse%20of%20the%20Online%20Shopper_executive%20summar... on page 7). Breaking even with Adwords shopping campaigns has become a challenge, and when the labor required to manage these campaigns is factored in I am losing money. Does anyone have any tips on how to combat a low ROI due to fewer shoppers using Google or is it time to just move on?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

For any merchant or agency, a beginner or an experience advertiser. It is always a good thing to start with the basics. Ensuring that your data feed has been correctly optimized. Not because something has been working great for months or years, means you can neglect the foundation of your advertising efforts.

So start by ensuring you have good images, titles, descriptions in your data feed.

Review if you can employ automated promotions

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2015/08/new-automated-extension-for-shopping-ads.html

See if it's financially viable to have normal promotions

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4588748?hl=en

Once these are done, make sure you have setup an effective campaign, do you have a simply 1 campaign setup, or are you using a multi campaign setup where you are targeting specific keywords.

I recommend reading up on tutorials, tips both from Google's documentation and 3rd party resources. Google Shopping has allot of moving parts and getting a positive ROI needs some dedicated work.

Also don't forget that the quality and effectiveness of your website, plays a very big part. So optimizing the website, checkout is also important.

Your first task is to look at your data feed.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Bill,

Google Shopping has grown significantly in the last couple of years, so your decrease in ROI could be due to increased competition in terms of products/prices, and increased competition in terms of bids.

You need to look at your long term stats to determine the cause - look for trends in CPC, CTR, and impression share.