AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Feeds - Does Google simply ignore extraneous fields?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All.

I'm working on a shopping feed that's generated by a 3rd party system.

The generated feed includes all the fields and data required by Google, all in the correct format. However it is adding a couple of additional fields for attributes which are not in the Google specification. My question is, will Google simply ignore these fields, or will it throw an error? (I am not yet in a position to test this in a Merchant Center account.)

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

providing a list of these extra attributes may allow forum members to better answer your question

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

connectivity (e.g. Bluetooth, WiFi)

display (e.g. TN, IPS, etc)

Definitely not Google attributes.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You can submit custom attributes, these are identified by a c: infront of the label. Which you can check by looking at the raw data of the feed.

You can do a test feed and check the validity of the feed. Simply register a feed, before you fetch a copy, go to the 3dot menu and upload a file, than select test.

Hope it helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Emmanuel,

I'm not able to test this in Merchant Center at the moment. And unfortunately I can't change the attribute name from 'connectivity' to 'c:connectivity'. I was just hoping to find out how Google treats attributes that it doesn't recognise in a submitted feed. Does it ignore it, or does it trigger an error?

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I think they are ignored, but not sure. Maybe someone else can answer.