AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Feed update frequency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it harmful to update the feed every day? I have read that it can slow down the publishing on shopping. My pricing can change every day and I still get pricing mismatch errors on the daily upload. Should I set the schedule to weekly and do a manual upload every time I do a price change (could be multiple time a day).

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Feed update frequency

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Steve,

No, in fact, if your pricing is changing everyday it is in fact compulsory to update daily. Pricing inconsistencies can be grounds for disapproval, so it is always best for you to upload every time you make a change to your prices. I upload my clients feeds daily because like you, their prices change with this frequency. Although your dashboard may report pricing discrepancies, if you have uploaded your feed and this matches the price listed on your site, it could be that when Google crawled your page, it was just before you did the price change on the site or alternatively, just before you uploaded the feed to reflect the change in price.

How big is your feed in terms of item count? If your prices change daily at a specific time, then a schedule to upload a fresh Datafeed once these changes go live would be an idea. This takes out any possibility of human error in forgetting etc. Ensure you do have an email confirmation set up though, so you can watch for any failures in uploads.

If your prices are changing more than once a day, then you really do need to ensure you upload the feeds to match this. Do you manually generate a feed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Our feed currently is 800 items. some items change weekly, others change daily (manually). We use a php script to pull from our pos. So would it be ok to have one master feed and rename it 10 different ways and have it update every 3 hours?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Steve

It's not something I would suggest. I would simply upload your feed when you change prices. Your ID's will remain the same within each feed, so regardless of which feed you uploaded, the ID's would still be replaced regardless. 

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok so only update an item when there is a change vs updating all items only
if one item has a change, Maybe I need to group the feeds based on
manufacture then I can isolate and keep the updates less frequent and only
when needed.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve H
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

You will need to upload the complete feed, even if only one item has changed, uploading a feed with only one item will remove all other items. So if one items price has changed, simply upload the complete feed once more, ensuring the ID value does not change.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

I have the same problem, but my question is: if i daily manually upload a custom feed, not a Merchant Center feed, there is no risk to lose my stats?
How about the time a feed takes to be approved? What happens in that period of time?

Thank you

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This early 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!