AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Feed items being wrongly rejected due to "incorrect prices" because our site uses geo-location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our website - like many others - uses multiple currencies, and uses geo-location to detect the user's location and show the appropriate currency. For example, if you are browsing from the USA, it will show prices in USD.

The product URLs remain the same for all countries and currencies.

Recently (since around mid-January) we have noticed a huge amount of items in our [non-USD] product feeds being rejected due to so-called "incorrect prices".

Presumably this is happening because Google's feed crawler uses a USA-based server and therefore our website is displaying all prices in USD.

For example, in our UK feed we submit prices in GBP, but when Google crawls the URL it sees prices in USD because of geo-location and therefore marks the price as being "incorrect", even though visitors from the UK would see the prices correctly (in GBP).

In my opinion this is a massive design flaw and a serious bug in Google's Merchant Centre error checking implementation. A huge number of websites use geo-location to provide correct locale and pricing information and should not be punished because of this.

Google should crawl feed items from servers which are physically located in the target country (e.g. UK feed -> crawl from UK server).

I contacted Google support and they seem to have no recognition of what I was talking about which has led to me making this post.

Any idea how to get this resolved, please?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Feed items being wrongly rejected due to "incorrect prices" because our site uses geo-location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is not a bug or design flaw, and has been like this since Google Shopping started. A product price submitted in the merchant feed must match that of the one shown on the product landing page and must be the same regardless of ip or geo location.

This information can be found in the minimum requirements of Google's Shopping Price policy here : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324371?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

Quote > Don’t change the price of your product on your landing page based on a user’s location.

To resolve this you need to the following :

Disable all ip or geo location based price modifications

I know this may be against your business decisions and website development, but to advertise on Google Shopping, you must adhere to Google's policies. There is unfortunately nothing you can do to avoid this other than resolving it by removing the price change based on ip's

If you do not remove this and continue to advertise, you will most likely get a suspended account. Depending on the severity of the suspension a permanent suspension might be triggered.

Personally I recommend you remove the price change based on IP and create a notification (a popup that does not obscure the information, place it in the corner for example) where the user can choose to change the location/currency/pricing etc... This is allowed as per Google's policy. But automated redirects is not allowed.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Re: Feed items being wrongly rejected due to "incorrect prices" because our site u

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If this policy has indeed been in place since the beginning then why have our items only started being rejected recently? We've been using Google Merchant for many years and only in mid-January did our items start to be rejected in these large numbers.

Also Google's support told me: "Moreover, the warning due to insufficient match of microdata price information will not lead lead to any account suspension".

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In January the same thing happened to me in two merchant accounts. And we have solved it as described above.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Google has policies, but does not mean these are checked all the time, or if Google chooses to suspend based on certain policies. Regardless I have pointed out the policy and referenced the documentation. Which you can read for your self.

I recommend you follow Google's documented policies, if you do not want to be at risk of a suspension. Google's support team is not the same as Google's review team and the support team might have not checked everything correctly. It is the review team that decide the violation not support.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I feel your pain because this is exactly what has happened to us, being a UK business selling internationally Geo-Location is excellent tool for your eCommerce shop window. It does seem strange that Google cannot crawl from the country or countries that the feed is targeting so it sees the actual price you are advertising and not the ex Vat price.

After looking at various alternatives to Geo, we have decided to drop the ads for now. Our Google Shopping feed undoubtedly brought in some really good UK sales over the last year or two but exporting is vital to us and cannot be restricted by website functionality ... especially as its a growing market for the UK.

I think Google will need to adopt some solutions in the future to this as Geo-Location becomes more popular on sites outside the US ... but for now its take it or leave it unfortunately.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

this is a rather old thread.

one other possible alternative is to submit to google a url link
that does not change based on ip-address, location, user-agent,
etc., while keeping the current links as-is.

usually, this is accomplished with either server-side-scripts
and url-parameters, or separate directories/folders/domains.

for example,
http://www.example.com/uk-en/products/large-red-wagon
http://www.example.com/de-de/products/large-red-wagon
or
http://www.example.com/products/wagon?color=red&size=large&locale=us-en
http://www.example.com/products/wagon?color=red&size=large&locale=de-de

the current links may then be kept as-is, without any changes; e.g.
http://www.example.com/products/wagon

otherwise, yes, some current business-models are
simply not a good fit for advertising with google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

im having the same problem. no one is willing to help and the vague explanations on googles pages also help no one. 

Good luck because were getting nowhere with them, but they're our best friends when they want our money. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yeah this doesnt work - does it. if i want to sell goods abroad, now i cant.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

a product-page that changes based on a user's location is simply not allowed.

since each website's internals may be very different, the details,
on how to change the product-pages to conform to google's policies,
can be very different -- since google ad-support does not support

any sites, the best likely course, usually, is to contact the developer
of the website, or whoever is currently maintaining the product-pages,
shopping-cart, and e-commerce system, on the website, for help.

simply, all product landing-pages must show the

exact, same, identical, information, for all users.

only after all landing-pages are made static and identical for all users --
then the alternatives are (a) use google's currency-conversion-feature; or
(b) change the website, by creating separate folders/links, for each country.

either option (a) or (b) may be used, with

shopping-ads, to advertise goods abroad.

otherwise, yes, other advertising outlets may need to be considered.