AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Feed Rules Issue with Multiple Values in promotion_id Field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The new Feed Rules feature seems to have an issue with populating multiple comma-delimited values in the promotion_id field.  The correct syntax for TSV files is the following according to Promotions Documentation:

promo1,promo2

I am using the following Feed Rule for promotion_id to populate the above value:

Create a value: promo1,promo2

Overwrite all values for this attribute is checked

I am expecting two distinct promo ID values to be populated for all products internally in Merchant Center.  I am checking the results by using the following Content API for Shopping v2 call:

GET https://www.googleapis.com/content/v2/{mcID}/products/online%3Aen%3AUS%3A834?key={YOUR_API_KEY}

Here is the relevant portion of the response:

"promotionIds": [
  "promo1,promo2"
 ],
 "customAttributes": [
  {
   "name": "promotion id",
   "type": "text",
   "value": "promo1"
  },
  {
   "name": "promotion id",
   "type": "text",
   "value": "promo2"
  }
 ]

As you can see, the promo ID values are being inserted as one string in the promotionIds field.  This is incorrect, as the two promo IDs should be two separate strings in the promotionsIds array.  Also, "promotion id" custom attributes are created, which is superfluous since promotionIds is already a defined field in the API.  If I put the "promo1,promo2" values directly in the feed without the Feed Rule, I get the expected results from the same API call:

"promotionIds": [
  "promo1",
  "promo2"
 ]

Also, there are no custom attributes in this response.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

This question looks to be more script related. In regards, I'd suggest posting your question in the Scripts Forum. The experts on the forum may be able to answer your question more quickly.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Spencer

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Dave,

I'd like to follow up. 

If you're still encountering your issue, please feel free to share more details within this Community thread too. We're also happy to help.

In the meantime, I'd recommend using the following Help Center articles to help you troubleshoot:

1. Set up Feed Rules

2. Merchant Promotions

3. Linking Merchant Center and e-commerce platforms

Best,

Spencer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Spencer,

Thank you for your reply.  My post is unrelated to Scripts.  Rather, I am inquiring specifically about the Feed Rules feature on Google Merchant Center.  When I attempt to enter multiple comma-delimited values in promotion_id using Feed Rules, I encounter what looks like a bug on Google's side.  I am using the API on my side simply to show how Google is storing data incorrectly as a result of the Feed Rules.

Can you please escalate?  This can be reproduced very easily on any account by following the instructions in my previous post.  If you need additional specific information in order to escalate, please let me know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Spencer,

Any update on this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Spencer, any update?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

note that currently, for feed-rules, the added customattributes
is seen when using the content-api to view results, whenever

an updated value is involved -- regardless of the attribute.

this behavior is likely so that the old values are preserved and the

information areas under the products-list-tab can show both, the

original you-provided-us and updated created-by-feed-rules, details.

this is apart from (not) supporting feed-rules

with multi-valued-values across feed types.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Celebird for your response, it is much appreciated.  Do you agree that the lack of support for multi-valued-values is likely a bug?  It doesn't seem like this behavior is by design.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome.

the current behavior with respect to multi-valued-values seems
to match the in-line help information for feed-rules; that is,
only a single value can be replaced -- "create a value".

in that sense, google may see supporting multi-valued-values as a future
feature enhancement rather than a bug -- if so, that would likely make for
a longer-term time-frame for any resolution and looking for a different
solution a more practical path.

generally, setting the proper or required value at the source is usually best.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate your help, but I disagree with your conclusion. I am looking at this document:

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6303923

This is the section that is applicable: "Create values for the target attribute". Values is plural. Therefore, if I follow your statement to its logical conclusion, multiple values should be supported. The documentation does not say only a single value is allowed for an attribute. The documentation does say that "Feed Rules give you the ability to transform your data to match our Products Feed Specification requirements". I am clearly following the Products Feed Specification.

I am attempting to set the proper and required values in Feed Rules because it is not possible to set it at the source. In this sense, my usage seems to be the intended purpose of Feed Rules.

What is the process for escalating bugs? It's possible that Google considers this a missing feature, but how do we know that they are even aware of the issue? Neither the documentation nor the interface indicate that a feature is missing or that what the user is trying to do won't work. It simply fails silently, which is indicative of a bug.

I don't need this to be fixed immediately, but would like to get it documented and in the queue on Google's side.