AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Specific Product from Shopping Advert Based on Rules

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I'm struggling with a bit of an issue, that someone will hopefully be able to help with.

Currently I run a Google Shopping Campaign on my AdWords account, however what I've noticed is that there are a number of products that are poorly performing (which subsequently is draining a large portion of my budget which would be better spent on better performing products).

These products are poorly performing outside of what can be fixed on the landing page itself and so rather than being fixed they simply need excluding.

My shopping campaign is split down into product groups and within an individual product group, say "Coats" there will be one poorly performing product with a high click rate that is draining the budget. I would like to exclude just that single product. I can achieve this by segmenting this product group, filtering based on 'Item ID" then excluding these item ids. The problem with this however is that is a lengthy manual process and requires continuous work. 

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is exclude specific product from my shopping adverts based on their performance (e.g. I've got a filter set in the products tab for Cost > £X.XX and Conversions = 0 and then do this as an automatic rule.

Is anyone aware of a way that I can achieve this? Either through AdWords or Google Merchant Center.

Many Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert M
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The only other suggestion would be using Google Merchant Feed Rules. However I think this will create an over complicated ruleset.

So you have 3 options.

Add custom labels to data feed

Exclude at item id level

Create feed rules

My suggestion would be data feed, or item id level.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I would than suggest adding custom labels, for example for that specific product create a label named exclude, where the others are named include.

Than in your shopping campaign segment after your normal segmentation to add the custom label include, than anything in the exclude list is not added.

This can be done in the data feed, if editing the data feed is not possible than you will need to go down the item id and exclude it that way.

Hope it helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response.

I did think that might be a possible solution. However I was hoping there might be a way to do this without editing the data feed itself. Are you aware of any way that I might be able to do this without editing the feed or is that the only way?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert M
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The only other suggestion would be using Google Merchant Feed Rules. However I think this will create an over complicated ruleset.

So you have 3 options.

Add custom labels to data feed

Exclude at item id level

Create feed rules

My suggestion would be data feed, or item id level.

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a quick look over the feed rules and don't think it will be possible to achieve what I'm after for this.

I'll instead go with your first suggestion of looking to do this via the data feed.

Thank you for your help!