AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Estimating Budget For Google Shopping

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Any tips on estimating total availability for a Google Shopping campaign? Typically in a search campaign I would use the keyword planner to get a rough estimate of available impressions, then extrapolate potential spend from there using .

What do others do for Google Shopping? This is for a client and they want to plan an annual budget by month.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David G
March 2017

Re: Estimating Budget For Google Shopping

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David G it's very difficult to predict Shopping spend; in fact I'd go as far to say it's difficult to accurately predict spend for any Campaign, but more so for Shopping. Smiley Happy

I tend to simply ask the client what they're happy to spend per month and if it's a reasonable figure, run the Campaigns for a month or so at appropriate values until data for Impression Share and Lost IS (Budget) becomes available (by which time you should also see Google's recommended budgets) and then make recommendations based upon the targets set by the client.  Personally, even if it were possible to accurately predict what could be spent per month, I would never start a new Campaign at that value but would rather start at a lower level to reduce risk and then ramp up the spend once I can be more certain of hitting targets.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David G
March 2017

Re: Estimating Budget For Google Shopping

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David G it's very difficult to predict Shopping spend; in fact I'd go as far to say it's difficult to accurately predict spend for any Campaign, but more so for Shopping. Smiley Happy

I tend to simply ask the client what they're happy to spend per month and if it's a reasonable figure, run the Campaigns for a month or so at appropriate values until data for Impression Share and Lost IS (Budget) becomes available (by which time you should also see Google's recommended budgets) and then make recommendations based upon the targets set by the client.  Personally, even if it were possible to accurately predict what could be spent per month, I would never start a new Campaign at that value but would rather start at a lower level to reduce risk and then ramp up the spend once I can be more certain of hitting targets.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Completely agree on all fronts, but our clients all tend to want an entire media plan for the year rather than being flexible. I typically try to get an idea of what's available throughout the year, then ask them exactly what you said, "what are you comfortable spending?, rather than suggesting a budget.

The client had a couple a few months of shopping data last year during their business season, but it was one campaign and not structured well. The spend was really low, but they were missing the vast majority due to rank. So I doubt it's an accurate depiction.

Thanks again.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

I'm Thrilled to see we are all on the same page! If you do have some data, then do the best you can to come up with some estimates. If you know the avg. monthly spend over that time, and what the impression share numbers were, then you can do some math and come up with a justifiable educated guess. Maybe up the estimate by a couple of points to provide some cushion?

Do you have to itemize the budget at every level? Could you say $X for AdWords, with a focus on Y first, then Z, as opposed to $x for each campaign? If there is any way you can more creatively frame the budget estimate, then that may give you some flexibility. 

Tom