AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate products and GTINs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm really bumping a previous thread of mine ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Shopping-and-Merchant/Google-Merchant-Center-what-i... ) now new information has come to light.

So I have three products that are all physically identical:

- 'Mains Cable ABC'

- 'Mains Cable for Electrical Item F'

- 'Mains Cable for Electrical Item G'

Now I've read the GS1 guidelines closely and this seems to be a fairly flaky system on which many shopping platforms base their inventories. If I find that, for my logistics, it is better to use three GTIN/UPC codes then I'm welcome to do it. If I slap a sticker on some that says 'For Electrical Item F' then those can quite justifiably have their own GTIN/UPC according to the guidelines.

GTINs/UPCs are also a complete mess and GS1 admits it with counterfeit numbers awash in the market as third parties sell fake GTINs/UPCs by the bucket. On Google Shopping I see endless examples of people listing the same product dozens of times using the application it fits rather than the physical product that it is and (having had a peep at the data from one company that does it) seen it is commercially very effective.

@Celebirdwas very helpful in my original thread but what I'm looking for is a really definitive link to some Google guideline that says it has issues with this. I mean GS1 says if you have one product you can get a GTIN/UPC, if you label that product with the RRP it should have another GTIN/UPC.So if a product is labelled for an application then .... why not a GTIN/UPC and unique listing in Google Shopping?

GTINs/UPCs, it claims, are for your own logistics, so you can even register products which you do not manufacture but are made by producers who don't want to use GTINsUPCs if you need it for your own distribution network.

Amazon I can see from experience does not rely on GTIN/UPC alone and will merge products that seem to have the same attributes but Google Shopping still lets people run amock with a numbering system that is pretty vague to say the least.

Where to go with this ... ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1) Only manufacturers can assign GTIN's, if you assign them yourself it is grounds for disapproval

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324461

2) Google is constantly improving its platform to avoid any counterfeits, if you find any please submit them here

https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy?hl=en&p=shop

3) Celebrid is correct and unfortunately there is clear message, but it is categorized as abuse ie : unfair advertising advantage

4) Amazon and Google have different policies

I recommend contacting Google directly if you need confirmation, however you will get the same answer. Submitting a single product multiple times with different titles is considered a violation.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Emmanuel. I don't disagree with your logic but I'm still not convinced it matches reality.

GS1 is pretty specific that GTINs are a matter of logistics, not manufacturer. If the producer does not want to use GTINs but you need them for your logistics that's fine.

What I think you are saying is that Google will only accept GTINs that have been assigned by the manufacturer so, OK, I have clients who are manufacturers.

So moving onto the issue of 'unfair advertising advantage' I see no way to report this to Google. The link you provided which is one I've seen in the past offers no option for this issue. You choose 'An ad violates Google Shopping Policies' and the only options you get are about restricted products.

Again though I don't actually see this as an 'unfair'. It is actually helpful to consumers to see a product listed by what it fits rather than something very generic ....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I recommend you contact Google via the feedback function to make your suggestion. As I understand it is good to present products that fit customer query, however with shopping there is a dilemma that if they allow this that it creates a very bad marketplace of abuse. When this happens it will create allot of spam, bad ads etc... It's just not practical in the majority of merchants. If you have products that fit allot of different things, such as a tyre, that can fit every single vehicle, than you need to use other types of advertising.

As we are simply community members, talking about it here does not really do anything other than talking. If you want to take action and get Google to change there policies, you need to send them feedback, give them a good reason why you want it changed and maybe they can do something about it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’