AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Does google automatically place your product in category if you get it wrong?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So some items I noticed are being in the right category (even filtered to the detail of the item) like if its a poster for example... and has variety of category posters it will go to animal poster if its a animal poster (not that there is a category for poster but for example sake). I notice that I will put a item in art and entertainment and later see it in a more targed category which is great.

I ask because I have variety of items that I will need to categorize but seems its not in the right section and later see it was . I hope that's the case.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google does not change any submitted data, whatever you submit is what Google will process.

Google lists items using the data submitted, meaning if it can correctly identify and match your product to a search query. To assist Google in matching products correctly, submit the most accurate data in the feed. For example, if you would add some data that is irrelevant or from a different product, it will not be able to list your items correctly.

The most important attribute that Google looks at, is the title.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google does not change any submitted data, whatever you submit is what Google will process.

Google lists items using the data submitted, meaning if it can correctly identify and match your product to a search query. To assist Google in matching products correctly, submit the most accurate data in the feed. For example, if you would add some data that is irrelevant or from a different product, it will not be able to list your items correctly.

The most important attribute that Google looks at, is the title.

Hope this helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yeah google won't change the submitted data but when I go to adwords and see the category its in. Seems google placed the item to more specific category. So did they do this when seeing my title? I think that is good since my category can be quite off and see its in the right place. I know they won't touch the actual data in my feed though. Please let me know if this is right ??

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Google uses a combination of all submitted data, not specifically 1 attribute. And data they have from other merchants, based on product identifiers.

Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So based on various data google DOES place it right category right?  Seems like it's not a big issue if I put it in wrong category (not on purpose but just didn't know others existed). I think i remember i saw item i had and google categorized it perfectly and didn't know the category existed .. So google taxonomy is the full list right?

Re: Does google automatically place your product in category if you get it wrong?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

generally, submitting irreverent information about a physical inventory
item is grounds for lower quality or disapproval -- all such information

should be corrected, as soon as possible.

as was indicated, google's algorithms will attempt to place an item
into a proper category, likely based on the weighted factors of all
attributes submitted, in addition to a wide variety of other factors --
such as how all users search over time -- those details are known

only to google and google has not yet published those details.

the list of categories within google's taxonomy, required for
a google_product_category value, is not, at all. the full list
of categories that google may use within google shopping.

google may also use product_type and invent categories algorithmically.

for all inventory items, simply use relevant, accurate, and valid values,
for all attributes submitted, with respect to google's rules, policies, and
recommendations, and especially with respect to the exact, specific,
physical inventory item, being sold and shipped to the user.