AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Does Google use your information when you submit a GTIN?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When you submit GTIN does google use your information such as product titles and descriptions?

For example, if I look up one of my items, the information in google's catalog is very under-optimized. No keywords in the title or description.

Does google use your product title and description to rank you, or do they use their own information based on the GTIN/MPN? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cody W
February 2017

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

This all depends if the manufacturer has defined a default and if Google wishes to choose the default.

Using a manufacturer GTIN does not mean that a default title will be used as not all manufacturers have setup there own requirement.

But in most cases your titles are used as keyword match, not necessarily only to rank. Ranking has allot of factors other than just what keywords are used in the title. Such as data feed quality, landing page, bidding, competitors, bid adjustments such as audience remarketing etc...

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Cody. I cannot comment on the description part as most of the times I could not optimize that (it just came from the CMS). Some tests (searchengineland) suggest that description optimization had little impact.

But the titles are really important. Having the titles optimized for the high traffic / relevant queries did help by having your ad show much more often. I don't remember if CPC was impacted. In my case the takeaway was that people writing the product titles (which are the same as the product names on the website and in the CMS) do take into account the most frequent search queries and name them accordingly. This, of course, helps with organic ranking as well.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cody W
February 2017

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

This all depends if the manufacturer has defined a default and if Google wishes to choose the default.

Using a manufacturer GTIN does not mean that a default title will be used as not all manufacturers have setup there own requirement.

But in most cases your titles are used as keyword match, not necessarily only to rank. Ranking has allot of factors other than just what keywords are used in the title. Such as data feed quality, landing page, bidding, competitors, bid adjustments such as audience remarketing etc...

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’