AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Does Google shopping show out of stock products?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've noticed quite a few of out products that have been out of stock for a while are still appearing in shopping. They're still in the feed but have availability marked as 'out of stock'.

Does this not automatically stop them from showing in shopping?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author George R P
March 2016

Re: Does Google shopping show out of stock products?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I see. There's a setting in the shopping interface that allows you to overwrite the feed values with microdata on the product pages: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/3246284

If this is enabled and if the value on the website is different from the value in the feed, it may get your products to show. Can you check if something like that might happen in your case?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Out of stock products should not receive traffic from Google Shopping.

See https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en

"If you have out of stock items or don’t want to receive traffic from Google Shopping (for example, if your online store is closed temporarily because of a holiday), don't remove the item from your product data. Provide the ‘out of stock’ [out of stock] value instead. Once the item is available again, just change the value of ‘availability’ back to ‘in stock’ [in stock]. Your item may start serving quicker this way since we do not need to reprocess it."

However, in order for this to happen, you have to edit your feed, resubmit it and wait for it to be processed. If you don't resubmit the feed, the stock situation you submitted for the last time remains valid for 30 days. Also, if you've just resubmitted your feed, the availability won't change immediately. In my own experience it takes a few hours before price or availability changes are reflected in your shopping ads.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Calin, but I'm afraid that doesn't seem to be the case for us.

We resubmit the feed multiple times a day and we're still seeing OOS products showing weeks later.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author George R P
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I see. There's a setting in the shopping interface that allows you to overwrite the feed values with microdata on the product pages: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/3246284

If this is enabled and if the value on the website is different from the value in the feed, it may get your products to show. Can you check if something like that might happen in your case?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I believe that may well be the case, thank you very much!