AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Disapproved Product Images.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, We seem to be running at a continuous 10% of our product range being disapproved for image violations.

This has been going since around December and I've spent probably an hour and a half on the phone to google each week since then.

Yesterday after my weekly phone call I think the student finally exceeded the master. I was quoting and correcting the representative on most the points he was trying to make.

Just hoping people here have more experience than customer support Smiley Wink

I'll start with our main issue. Our company custom prints ring binders and other office stationery with the client's logos. This is what puts us in between a rock and a hard place.

rock = First image policy (paraphrased) "Product image must accurately represent the product the customer is buying"

hard place = Second Policy (paraphrased) "Product image must not include promotional text or logos"

I have tried blur out the logos we have printed for customers but that product has since been disapproved.. 

I could completely remove the logos but that obviously doesn't represent what we are trying to sell properly.

My latest attempt is to photoshop in a "Your logo here" placeholder logo to try to represent what we do... 

Has anyone else come across this issue? If so what was the solution?

((Worst part is if you go to google shopping and search "custom printed" almost every single item on there should have been disapproved....))

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is indeed an annoying area, the only people that can approve the disapproval is Google's review team.

Text on images that are for custom design / printing etc... is indeed common practice and is a bit of a gray area. Personally I would change all the images to have "your logo here" and than request for a re approval. Make sure that when you submit the re approval that you explain these are printed products. And hopefully you will get approved. Do not ask for a reapproval if you only did a couple of products, ether remove the ones that you have not done from the feed, or do them all.

Also note that comparing yourself with other merchants is not a good way forward and recommend always to follow the policy. This to avoid any suspensions. Most likely within a year others will be disapproved for the same reason, if it is indeed a violation. This suspension is manual and has most likely nothing to do with an automated detection program. These manual reviews can happen at any given time of the year and can also be triggered when a complaint was made.

When you are ready, ask for a re approval here : https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/suspended?rd=1#contact=1&ts=6081780

To resolve your issue, I recommend to simply submit the product with the placeholder text and nothing else photoshopped. Make sure that the title describe your offer a custom printed ring binder or similar. 

I do understand your situation and this reply was not much help, but there is nothing else you can do other than follow the policy.

If you find others are violating Google's policy, than submit a policy violation complaint here : https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy?hl=en&p=shop

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Been told numerous times by customer support that just resubmitting the items with a change will reapprove them. (obviously images changed if images were the reason for the disapproval).

Also been told that it is an algorithmic change that has suddenly caused us to be the target of the disapproval hammer...  Which is why I was asking about using "Your logo here". Little worried an algorithm is going to think "your logo here" is actually a logo or promotional text.

To be honest, going on the knowledge of the last guy I was speaking to I really am getting to the point of not knowing what to believe.

He was trying to tell me that a particular image had been disapproved due to violating something with length, breadth and height. After I explain that those were in relation to the physical dimensions of the product and had no relation to 2 dimensional images what so ever, he just started trying to get off the phone as quick as possible.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Also make sure you have no other outstanding issues as 1 disapproval reason may be listed for multiple, so inspect your data feed carefully and follow all policies.

Products do get re approved but may take up to 30 days. Hence why submitting a form request here is advised : https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/suspended?rd=1#contact=1&ts=6081780

Please note we are community members and do not know the inner workings of Google, so if they say it is an automated disapproval, than so it is.

What you need to believe is the written policy by Google, you can check it again here : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324350?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

Again a disapproval can be triggered from multiple violations and might indeed be due to dimensions. Carefully check the policy requirements here : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324498?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

So not because your main issue is the image, means that what Google's Rep told you was inaccurate.

I recommend you review your whole feed again, check all the policies, than submit a re approval using the form. When the form is submitted wait 5 business days.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’