AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Digital Downloads on Google Merchant Center

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hello - I have a client who wants to place all their website product content on Google Merchant Center.

But we have variations of book products where we have a print copy that is shippable, and three different digital formats available to download.

On our website, we control the number of available downloads per buyer.

Near as I can tell, GMC does not support digital downloads as products. Is that correct? Or what am I missing if I'm trying to get non-shippable downloadable products in the store?

Any ideas here?

Thank you

Bill

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

I think your question has already been answered in the forums here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Shopping-and-Merchant/Including-digital-download-ph...

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

Thanks for the link. That particular thread was confusing. First, there seems to be disagreement about what can be uploaded and the links provided do not elaborate enough to describe digital downloads that have download limits per user.

It's still not clear how this will work or if my files meet minimum requirements. It's also not clear how variations that include print and download options can be properly migrated from our shop.

So Mike are you definitively saying that you know for sure that digital files can be managed the way I describe? 

It appears this gentleman was able to sell images online, but Google's documentation is not getting me where I need to be.

Thanks anyway

Bill

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If we go by the policy, it does not limit you from selling digital products.

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6150006?hl=en

It does limit you if it's a subscription or a service. A service means you as a merchant can not create a new or modify a file that is dependent on user input. For example a customer needs to upload an image where you as a merchant will amend something, to than grant access to a modified or new file.

However regardless of the policy, currently digital products are eligible on a case by case basis (as long as its not a service), controlled by Google's Shopping policy review team.

Selling variants or options is not an issue, rather if you are aloud to sell the digital product.

When selling a variant the product listed must be identical to the landing page. So if you are selling a yellow t shirt in size small. Than the landing page title, image, description, price needs to be identical to what has been listed.

Setting restrictions to customers is however against Google's policy, you are not aloud to limit actions based of a customer input, country, ip, etc...

Unfortunately the only way to know is to contact Google Adwords

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7217785?visit_id=1-636173248256318104-3186988252&hl=en&rd=...

Before you do, do note, you might get an answer, have you tried to upload the products. There is technically nothing prohibiting you from selling digital products as long as its not related to services.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

They are all uploaded and unapproved.

Thanks for your thoughts.