AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Daily API data feed is slow to update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an automatic product feed using google shopping API. My prices are changing once per day for approximately 500 products (some have no changes at all). Once my prices are updated, Google Merchant Center seems to re-upload my entire product list and everything must be re-approved for all 500 products. This takes approximate 12-14 hours each day. This results in my feed being unusable for product listings in AdWords for more than 50% of the day/every day.

Is there a better solution for my product price changes? I could live with some down time each day but currently it is so slow to update that it is only able to run AdWords ads for a small portion of the day. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Normally a re approval only happens when there are big changes to the product being updated. I recommend when you use Google's Shopping API, to only submit the price of that specific product as an update.

This forum is however not specific to the API and recommend you ask here : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/google-content-api-for-shopping

Where you can find a better answer

Hope it helps

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

generally, if only price changes, use the api's inventory-service and
batch only specific items that change, to help avoid a policy review,
each time data is resubmitted to google; using the inventory-service

effectively results in a price-only update.

price and on-hand availability are required to be in sync

with the website and the merchant's physical inventory,

at all times.

regardless, all items are required to be resubmitted, in full,

at least monthly -- usually five days or so before the items

expire -- to account for the policy review time;  an item must

also be resubmitted, in full, if other attributes change on the

site, such as title.

otherwise, shopping-ads tend to prefer mostly static prices; some types of
items or venues where prices change too quickly or too frequently are even
prohibited from participating in the program -- such as auction sites or sites

with any live currency exchange-rate based pricing.

other campaign-types and ad-formats are typically
recommended for advertising such items or venues.

that said, as was indicated, the best likely
course is to simply ask within the api forum --
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/google-content-api-for-shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply. I am not clear on the best approach for my situation. I have changed to a scheduled fetch XML primary feed. Every day my entire product list is re-updated with new prices (although many remain the same). I believe this is causing my feed to be re-approved each day which is very slow. How can I avoid this with the scheduled fetch XML feed? If I provide a supplemental feed with just the prices updated will this work? I'm unclear as to what is the criteria that causes the feed to be re-approved.

Also, how would the automatic price/availability updates in Merchant Center affect this situation?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As indicated earlier, even if you submit the data feed every day, only when the data submitted has a big change than a review process is automatically created. It seems you are submitting a new product id every time you re upload.

Regardless of any feed method, a product review only happens when you have made big changes. So if your changes in the feed trigger a review than there is nothing you can do about this. I recommend checking your feed for big changes and avoid doing this if its not required.

As we are community members, we have no access to your data, so we can't comment on how to resolve the issue. The best likely course is to contact Google directly.

Also check you have no standing violations, as this could also trigger a re approval.

For example, I have a client with 20k products, submitted every single day, the only changes are prices. I never get a re approval process.

So I'm guessing something you have setup is not correctly done, check Google's documentation and contact Google. Before you contact them check the data feed again and all warnings and errors in Google Merchant. Otherwise Google's team might not be able to assist.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’