AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Currency Converter Option not available in my Merchant Centre settings

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I’m having trouble with the Merchant Currency Converter.

I currently have a Shopify store selling products in AUD. The product feed comes from the Content API in Google Merchant and my Google Shopping campaign is working correctly for Australian campaigns.

However I have not been able to get campaigns working for another country – New Zealand.

The Currency Converter setting is missing from my configuration settings in Google Merchant.

I see in other discussions some have said that even if the settings are missing, the currency converter can still be working, however in my case it is not working (although I’d still like to know why it is missing).

I have been reading these forums and other instructions online extensively, and have been on three support calls with Google and they were unable to assist. They did give instructions about correctly configuring the feed which I have followed (adding target countries, languages & shipping details), however they had no explanation as to why the campaign is still not working in AdWords. They said just wait... but I've been waiting 3-4 days and it's clearly not working.

What I can see is that in diagnostics, whilst the products are all displaying for Australia: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2285/7237/files/chart1.png?4331617294003007791

None are displayed for New Zealand: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2285/7237/files/chart2.png?4331617294003007791

Not errors messages are given however. It just says “Looking Good!” under current issues.

If the currency converter was working correctly, should this display the same number of products as for Australia?

Any idea as to what needs to be done to fix this issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The currency conversion settings no longer exist. It is automatic now. All you have to do is add the new target country in the feed settings as you have done.

Than in Google Adwords create a new campaign for New Zealand as the target country.

If this was the issue, you can not use 1 campaign for multiple target countries. Unlike Text ads.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, so the issue then is that the ads are simply not being displayed in the Adwords campaign.

Products have imported correctly, and the campaign is set to only one location, New Zealand, and yet impressions have been zero for days.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

That sounds right, using automated currency conversion does not work the same as a dedicated data feed.

1) Currency conversion is still in beta

2) Currency conversion will not give the same amount of impressions, you maybe only get 10% or less

If you want to sell, I recommend setting up new shopify account with new zealand as the country and currency, than submit the data feed from the new website. Yes it is allot more expensive to set this all up. But this is the only way to get the most potential of traffic.

Hope it helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But that solution requires a New Zealand bank account, and a bank account in any country I want to advertise in. That's not possible for me to get.

I understand there are disadvantages to the currency conversion option, but the question is why it's not working at all?

Currency conversion is advertised as making it possible to advertise in multiple countries with a single data feed, and I just want to find out why it's not working.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I have no information why its not working other than its still in beta and unfortunately that it is a known issue.

It can take a whole month and you would maybe just get 30 impressions and 1 click. Again common and have experienced it myself with some clients. Hence why I do not really recommend this feature for all merchants.

It might work for some products but not for others.

You might find better luck in USA rather than New Zealand.

If you are unhappy with Google products, simply send a complaint to Google by logging into Adwords or Merchant and in the top right corner click on feedback.

As we are community members and not part of Google, we can only suggest what we know and what we can confirm from official documentation.

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Following up on this in case anyone else is having the same problem—I see that the New Zealand campaign has 2 impressions, confirming that it is technically working, but practically not... like you said above.

I just spoke with Google support again today, and they said that the auto-currency converter doesn't really work with Shopify and the Content API It mainly works with an XML feed. They suggested keeping the Content API for the main feed, and adding a duplicate XML feed that can be targeted for the other countries.

I don't know how easy that will be to do, but I'll have to research it now.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Currency conversion has nothing to do with the type of data feed input method. Currency conversion can be added to all data feed input methods and the results will be identical.

If you want to submit a dedicated data feed for New Zealand, than the only way as per Google Policy is to create a new website for New Zealand with the currency being NZ Dollar. Submitting a XML, CSV or any other type of data feed for New Zealand, without the correct landing page information (currency, price, etc...) is a violation and the feed will be suspended. In certain situations, depending on account history a permanent suspension might be triggered.

I also recommend to study the policies below :

Feed Requirements : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7052112?hl=en

Landing Page Requirements : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4752265?hl=en&ref_topic=7286989

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, that was my understanding also. I did ask multiple times to confirm that he really was saying it was the input method, and he kept saying that it was.

I really can't understand how Google's support staff don't appear to know their own products.

He was not saying that a separate XML feed targeted at other counties should change any information from the website base currency, just that it would work better with currency conversion and Adwords.