AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Competing with eBay in Shopping PLA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Forum,

Is it me but why is it that I am paying for ppc in Google shopping when my competitor just opens a eBay account and gets fed for free into Google Shopping ! I am having to increase my ppc just to get shown.

Come on Google why are you letting your ex customers go to eBay and get shown for free on Google shopping and your loyal paying customers suffer because of it ! 

Think you need to sort this out or customers like me will stop paying the Thousands of £££££££££,s just to be shown in shopping when you can pay £350 p.m and be shown on all your products?

Think everyone who pays for ppc should email Google to stop this unfair practice !

Re: Competing with eBay in Shopping PLA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Celebird

Thanks for your detailed reply but did not answer the question, my point is not having to compete with a platform that pays a fraction of what i pay and having to compete with them. I can feed my products into Google shopping and get decent ranking as i do for around £3k per month or I can open a eBay account and feed my products in for £350 and they then feed these products into Google shopping to compete with me. I see more competitors not paying Google but switching to eBay as this is a cheap alternative to PLA, so when you look at a product on the front page sometime 3 ad's are google and 2 eBay so this is blocking Google paying customers and driving up ppc avg cost.

Please correct me if wrong, does anyone know how much eBay pays for ppc?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have found this an issue since google went to ppc. its a horrid method IMO.

A flat subscription or % per aquisition would be far more suitable.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes Agreed it is not fair that small businesses have to compete like this with a blue chip like eBay ! we should all be on a level playing field or at least have a chance to compete without paying a fortune to try.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
we are also only allowed to submit products once - whereas ebay has pages and pages of the same product flooding the results.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes noticed this too, also like to know if eBay are having to use the same 5000 character limit for description Google have set as guideline along with the other limits as cant see how Google will enforce this. We have just spent the last 3 weeks slimming down text so we don't get disapproved ! will be interesting to see if Google suspend eBay !

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I doubt they will do anything, I even spoke to one of the adwords consultants about it and got usual blurb

" they must use a different strategy to you, try increasing your bids etc etc".

Google shopping has basically just been links to ebay for the last year.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No surprise with Google's response as this must generate a tidy sum for them ! they will lose customers in the long run if this loophole in their advertising is not plugged as people will just stop with adwords and move to eBay which i may have to consider if nothing is done.