AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Clicks from excluded IP's if not filtered shown as invalidated?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Our IP-exclusion list in our shopping campaign are definitely not working.

We not only use the geo-localization exclusion in the main settings (our campaign runs for just one specific country) but we exclude also many specific IP-adresses and IP-ranges (IPv4 and IPv6). The block is simply not working and we get many clicks (and pay them) from excluded IP's or from IP's coming from outside our geographical zone.

We are not anonymizing the IP's in the Analytics code snippet, so the problem is not about that.

My question is the following: is the invalidation system recognizing if a click comes form an excluded IP and successively invalidate those click? If yes, why is the IP not filtered before, why is the ad showing up?

I mean, we tested the filter many times by changing our own IP or accessing the website within other networks and every time the filter was working fine and the changes in the exclusion list were activated immediately.

It's really not logic that instead with third party IP's the filter is not working (it should work like the htaccess exclusion function when some IPs are exuded by the function "deny from"). The only one answer I can get to this, is that probably the IPs are hidden behind a proxy, but we tested this and in the majority of the IPs it seems not to be case.

Also to me it's not logic that if the IP's are not filtered in the exclusion list, the system find them successively and invalidate them.

I would be very thankful if someone has an answer on this.

Many thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

As we have no data or account access, it's going to be hard to help you. I recommend that you contact Google directly here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7218750

However I think your issue is that you are using ranges, which as per official documentation does not say it is supported.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6322

Make sure to exclude full ip's

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emmanuel F,

Thank you for your kind answer.

In the AdWords settings the following description says instead clearly, that you can use ranges:

You can use full IP addresses or the wildcard character (*) in place of the last 3 digits of IPv4 addresses, indicating a block of addresses, or CIDR IP address blocks.
Examples:
123.4.5.*
123.4.0.0/16
2620:0:1003:1011:fa1e:dfff:fee6:2711
2620:0:1003:1011:fa1e:dfff:0:0/96

We use those formats in our blocking list.

We know that filters are not working retroactively, we know that for display campaigns the filtres cannot grant the desired functionality, but here we are speaking about a shopping campaign, a geo-localization filter and a correct setting in the exclusion list.

But again, the basic question is, if the invalidation system recognizing if a click comes form an excluded IP and successively invalidate those click.

I just wanted to check out if someone experienced a similar situation and managed to solve the problem.

Many thanks again & kind regards.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ah, if the wildcards are supported than I do not know the issue. Please contact Google directly so they can check with the tech team. This is the only way to resolve your issue as this is a member to member forum, this specific issue is not easily resolved on a forum. Give them a call from this page : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7218750

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We contacted them, without any success. Since 4 months we bring to them attention this issue by providing proofs and screenshots from our log-entries.

This issue can potentially touch every single account. This is why I wanted to check out in this forum if someone managed to find an answer on this subject.