AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Changing Product ID's

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have over ten thousand products and have been up on Google Shopping for years. We realize now that we need to change the numbers in our backend that we use as product ID's in shipping for many of our products.

We would like to use a different number for our product ID's, but this would mean changing all the product ID's in our inventory.  We are not too worried about historical data, but is there any other issue with doing this?

If we go through this process, we realize Google will recognize all our products as new products - does that mean there will be a review process or any other lag time to prepare for? Is there any risks in doing this?

Thank you for any input you can offer.

Re: Changing Product ID's

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Troy, 

This is not something i'd recommend,  infact over the years i've done everything possible to retain id's. I've seen drops in traffic and problems with reviews and approvals after these sort of changes. As far Google Merchant Center is concerned your right your effectively deleting the item and add a new one but the age of the item and its history is a very important thing to keep. 

Whats the exact reason for wanting to change these?

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
At the beginning we used an internal SKU as ID that was pulled from the magento backend, but that SKU needs to change for some products when customer service buys the products from a different supplier. So now we have a few products a month that change ID numbers.

To clarify this is a different SKU number then the GTIN or MPN we use in google merchant.

Also, there is an ID number for each product in magento that should have been used from the beginning, but for some reason they decided to use this 'internal sku'?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Troy

Sorry for the delay, if it is unavoidable, then I would suggest you change these to the ID number Magento applies, so it will not need to change again, if a similar situation arises. 

Each item that you do change the ID for, will be classed as a new item, so any historical data will be lost.

These items will need to be reviewed, so on upload of the new feed your items will appear  in the products tab as "under review", this may take a day or so, so please be patient. If they are still in review after 3-4 days, then please complete this form and ask for more details. - Review Delay

Secondly, these may take a further few days once out of the review process to appear within your shopping campaigns. 

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.