AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Change from CPC to CPA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I'm looking to change from CPC to CPA and can you make it percentage based? 

Thanks for the help. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Change from CPC to CPA

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Reed,

Quick update: I forgot that you had posted this question in the Shopping board--but you currently cannot use Conversion Optimizer on shopping campaigns.

Sorry for the confusion,
Cassie

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Reed,

Could you explain what you mean by percentage based?

Keep in mind that is not recommended to change to CPA-based bidding until you have a large volume of conversion data for the system to work with. At that time, when you make the switch, AdWords will give you a recommended Target CPA to start with so that your transition from CPC to CPA bidding will be as seamless as possible. You can see here for more details on how the bidding strategy works: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472713?hl=en

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Reed
No, you can't make it percentage based unless you calculate that yourself for each campaign. Nto possible if there's multiple conversion values (e-commerce for example). I'd pay particular attention to what @CassieH says about high volume. While the minimum is 15 (maybe more, we never use CPA bidding anymore) it really only works with much higher numbers. In all my years using it, I've never seen Google be able to beat the suggested target CPA that they give. Not straight away anyway.

What I think may suit you better is a flexible bid strategy. You can set a target ROAS here which is what I think you're looking for. You can find out more about it here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268637?hl=en

We've been able to make this work really well for our clients. You might want to give it a try and see if it works for you.

Hope that helps.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
November 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Reed,

Quick update: I forgot that you had posted this question in the Shopping board--but you currently cannot use Conversion Optimizer on shopping campaigns.

Sorry for the confusion,
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Cassie, We've collected quite a bit of data but the issue is, our products have different prices, ranging from $30 - $150. So saying entering $10 dollars isn't effective for every product, we need to ensure we're allocating 15% for example. It would be better if we could just enter 15% and be done with it. Now, I've got to go through every product and calculate then enter the amount to be profitable, if my understanding is correct. Thanks, Reed

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Reed,
I too made the same mistake. Unfortunately, flexible bid strategies are not available on shopping campaigns.