AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Cannot view all keywords that trigger all impressions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Firstly, my apologies if this has already been answered. I've looked, but, couldn't find anything that helped me.

Anyway, over the course of one day, 9 Oct 2015, a campaign with one group received 15 clicks and 1,517 impressions.

How can I workout what keywords/search terms triggered those impressions?

I can see some keywords, including any I have excluded for that particular day. They total around 70 impressions. What triggered all the others? I appreciate data takes time to trickle through, but, this happened around a week ago. Hell, this happens most days.

How can I control my CTR, if I cannot see the keywords that trigger the display of my products? OK, if I switch the filter to “View: Shopping – Item ID”, I can see the products that have generated all of those impressions (yes, I counted the impressions), even if the product didn't receive a click. But, not the keywords.

What am I missing? Any advice?

Is it the case that if a click isn't recorded, the keyword isn't available? Not sure that is true though, because I see, daily, keywords with impressions which didn't receive a click. Stumped.

If any of that doesn't make sense, speak up and I'll do my best to explain further.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian W
November 2015

Re: Cannot view all keywords that trigger all impressions

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor

Hi @Ian W the key point is that the Search Term Report does not show ALL search terms used.  The page I linked to explained the limitations and I quoted the most relevant paragraph.

Yes, this does mean that sometimes this report can be less useful than it could be, but when you have a very large number of impressions (impressions are where your Ad has been displayed and includes occasions when that Ad was clicked) and much fewer details in the STR, this can still be a useful indicator.  What match type are you using for your Keywords?  Are they mostly simple Broad match?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Ian

to check the search terms (keywords) you need to select the date range under which you want to see the data, after that Click on Campaign --> Go to Dimensions --> from the scroll down view you can check the search term of your shopping campaign.

for your question: Is it the case that if a click isn't recorded, the keyword isn't available? no its nothing like that i can check the data having 0 clicks and 5 impressions and so on....

Try this once hope you can see the data...anything else we can help?

Good Luck!!!

Ana

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
PS: for improving CTR in shopping campaign, kindly review the below link:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/how-to-improve-my-CTR-in-shopping...

Ana

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Ian W firstly, it's worth looking at a data period beyond the last 24 hours.  Very little data in the AdWords UI is real-time and some of it can be delayed by 24 hours or more so for this sort of analysis I'd recommend always choosing a period that doesn't include "today", and perhaps even excludes "yesterday".

However, even when you do this you're likely to be "missing" some search terms because not every single search term is included in this report.  As detailed in this help page:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

"Keep in mind that you’ll only see search terms that were used by people at least 24 hours ago and have either received clicks in the past 30 days or were searched for by a significant number of people. Any search terms that did not meet this criteria will be summed up in the 'Other search terms' row."

Generally speaking, for most Campaigns, if a search term doesn't generate enough stats to appear in the Search Term Report, it's not significant enough (or, more accurately, is unlikely to have significant enough data) to be a useful target for optimisation in any case.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Don't know. All I know is when I look at one report or page I see 70 impressions, or so, while the other tells me I actually received 1,517 impressions. What triggered all those impressions? I cannot see what triggered all of those impressions.

If there is an impression, does it not mean someone typed something and my ad was displayed? If not, what is an impression?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, I'll have a read.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Jon, I'll have a read. Think I've read that. Not sure it helps me though.

OK, what is an impression? I thought it meant a term/keyword was inserted into Google, my product was displayed, but, was not clicked (if no click was recorded). If not, why are impressions even recorded/displayed, if it means nothing to my campaign?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I did not mark this as the best answer, thanks.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@Ana A

That link you posted? One of the suggestions is to "use negatives for all search terms which are irrelevant and drag down your CTR". Well, that's my point. If I cannot see the keywords that generate the impressions, how the hell am I suppose to do that?

Thanks though.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Jon, I still do not understand. The page you directed me to says "... Because you have included the word “roses” as a keyword in your AdWords campaign, your ad may be eligible to show on David’s search results page.". So, doesn't that mean a keyword has to be used to trigger an ad? So, that would also mean that if I have an impression, a keyword was used to trigger that impression (going around in circles here)?

Just looked at yesterdays results and the same thing. 1,598 impressions, but, I cannot see what triggered those impressions. And, it seems it doesn't matter when I look at the data, there is always keywords missing.

So, effectively, I feel as though I am fighting with one arm tied, for lack of a better expression.

How can I remove the keywords that generate all of those impressions, if, I cannot see them!!

Thanks

PS. I have images. I'll try to upload..