AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Cannot add keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to add Keywords to a new shopping campaign, and I get the following error:

These entries could not be added due to the following reasons:
  • This operation is not supported by this campaign.

followed by the list of keywords I was trying to add

A quick search has not yielded any help - so any offered here is much appreciated

Thanks

Justin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Justin A
September 2015

Re: Cannot add keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Justin,

Shopping campaigns works differently from normal search campaigns:

Instead of keywords, Product Listing Ads use the product attributes you defined in your Merchant Center data feed to show your ads on relevant searches.

So, you don't have to (or can) set keywords for your shopping campaign, you can define negative keywords though.

More info on shopping campaigns: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080607

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Justin A
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Justin,

Shopping campaigns works differently from normal search campaigns:

Instead of keywords, Product Listing Ads use the product attributes you defined in your Merchant Center data feed to show your ads on relevant searches.

So, you don't have to (or can) set keywords for your shopping campaign, you can define negative keywords though.

More info on shopping campaigns: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080607

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks - I only run campaigns at this time of year and they've changed! Keywords were important back then

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Did Google not think this through? I use a feed aswel but my product names are rather specific and not realy useable as search keywords. The result is that I have a shopping campaign with next to none clicks on it, but I cant find a way to improve thius exept for adding keywords. pleas advise

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ghalia S

It is important to include all attributes that area available. Look at your description, be sure this is of a good quality. Describe your item in the highest detail. Ensure you have corrected any errors in your feed, including that of any recommendations found in the Data Quality area of your Google Merchant Center account.

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thx, Tom. I use a SaaS platform for my shop and my products are hand crafted originals, so no ref numbers of general ID. All Google has to categories on with my products is the name and description. I would like to target the term "Oosterse Lamp" (oriental lamp) But as every different lamp has its own use, name and description the Google indexing mechanism does not interpretate this correct. I truly feel this is poorly implemented by Google. I could show you around to get more in detail but dont know if this is the right platform for it

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ghalia

Its a little difficult to discuss exacts of any account or feed, however, I do understand there is more struggle with custom products as you rely on a more generic term to be found, especially when your title may not be used necessarily by the multitude of users.

Terms such as "osterse Lamp" could be placed in attributes such as product_type within a gradual formation for example. Are you including such terms within your descriptions? 

As I said, the forum is a little difficult to handle individual accounts due to the limitations, but following general guidelines of including your search terms within a description, so long as this is done in a correct format and the information is valid, then you should hopefully gain a greater result.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you!!!