AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Can you see a search term report for PLAs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up an Adwords account for PLAs, created a campaign under that, an ad group under that, and the ROI on the campaign is terrible. I'm seeing a huge spike in clicks the last few days, and I'm trying to figure out what the increased clicks are on (which product, which search term, whatever information I can get). Is there a way to see, for PLAs, either which products or which search terms are getting clicks?

Thanks!

Paul 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Can you see a search term report for PLAs?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

You can do it in two ways (at least):

1) As Alys said, look at a search terms report for that PLA campaign. One issue: you won't see which product attracted those search terms. What to do about it: use an adwords_grouping element, where, for each product, you can enter its SKU. Then use AdWords Editor and Excel and generate all your ad groups automatically and add one product target per group. You'll end up with 8000 ad groups, each targeting a product. Now, when you run a search terms report you'll see the search term and the ad group corresponding to the product target that attracted that search term. The huge advantage is that you can differentiate your bids at product target level. Also semi-automatically, through Excel + AdWords editor.

2) Use the adwords_queryparam element together with the {adtype} attribute to add a querystring to your product URLs, so you can see if a click originates in Google Product Search (it's still free in Europe), PLA or PE. Once you have that, you can go to Google Analytics and use Search Terms as the first dimension and Landing page as the second. Then filter by URLs containing {adtype} and there you have it. The search query and the URL, in one row.

LE: The adwords_queryparam seems to be almost deprecated, the new way of tracking is described here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404255

However, I'm going through the same process as you are, and the only cure for the moment seems to be adding negative keywords all day long, to block the less relevant queries. As I've previously said, I doubt people looking for "plasma tv", or "plasma vs lcd" are looking to buy a specific model.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
On the Merchant Center side you should be able to see the products that get paid search clicks.

As for the keyword...that is a good question. The solution may be to create a custom url that captures the Keyword i.e. add 'value track' parameter, specifically the {keyword} parameter, to your url's in your feed.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375447

You would then need to refer to Google Analytics to see what data was collected for the keyword.

There may be another way to skin the cat tho Smiley Wink anyone else have ideas?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Where in the merchant center do you see paid clicks? I'm uploading ~1 million products and the "products" tab only shows about 8,000.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

If you run a Search Terms report in the AdWords account you would be able to see the terms that triggered your ad to show, which includes your product listing ads. If your campaign only contains product listing ads then this list will show you all the terms that triggered your product listing ads to show. 

Hope this helps

A. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

You can do it in two ways (at least):

1) As Alys said, look at a search terms report for that PLA campaign. One issue: you won't see which product attracted those search terms. What to do about it: use an adwords_grouping element, where, for each product, you can enter its SKU. Then use AdWords Editor and Excel and generate all your ad groups automatically and add one product target per group. You'll end up with 8000 ad groups, each targeting a product. Now, when you run a search terms report you'll see the search term and the ad group corresponding to the product target that attracted that search term. The huge advantage is that you can differentiate your bids at product target level. Also semi-automatically, through Excel + AdWords editor.

2) Use the adwords_queryparam element together with the {adtype} attribute to add a querystring to your product URLs, so you can see if a click originates in Google Product Search (it's still free in Europe), PLA or PE. Once you have that, you can go to Google Analytics and use Search Terms as the first dimension and Landing page as the second. Then filter by URLs containing {adtype} and there you have it. The search query and the URL, in one row.

LE: The adwords_queryparam seems to be almost deprecated, the new way of tracking is described here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404255

However, I'm going through the same process as you are, and the only cure for the moment seems to be adding negative keywords all day long, to block the less relevant queries. As I've previously said, I doubt people looking for "plasma tv", or "plasma vs lcd" are looking to buy a specific model.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
You can check the search terms of PLA Ads on the dimension menu.