AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Can I see the IP address that clicked my Google Shopping Ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Simply put, I believe the proof is in the pudding, and as it is right now, I'm paying for pudding that I can't taste.

I would like to see the IP address for each click to my website generated by Google Shopping but I see no way to do this within either Adwords or the Merchant Center.  I'm aware of how to block certain IPs within Shopping (which I've done to block competitors' from clicking and driving up our costs or simply to prevent them from easily researching my pricing strategies), but I see no qualitative info related to individual clicks.  If I could simply see the IP address I could block those that are unnecessarily driving up our costs (those that would repeatedly click-thru google shopping, yet haven't bought anything) and get a better idea of what geographic regions seem to be responding best to our shopping campaign.

I wasn't concerned initially about this issue because most of our clicks seemed valid and didn't get out of control quantity-wise, so no biggie, but recently I've had a couple products that will generate well over 40 clicks in a 14 day period (which is 10 times the average clicks of our other products) and generate zero sales.  This has been going on for a couple months now and it's incredibly frustrating to have 75% or your shopping budget being eaten up by one or two products that have not produced a single sale.  Without the ability to identify where these clicks are coming from I'm incapable of investigating or rectifying these ever-more-common cost increases.  As it is, I feel like I'm just a blind trusting fool who's potentially getting bilked. 

Does anyone have any suggestions ?  All ideas are welcome.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions/thoughts.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lightbulbs A
May 2016

Re: Can I see the IP address that clicked my Google Shopping Ad?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

if you think, that someone clicks on your ads you have several choices. Contact Google support - http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html and report it.

Look into your log server and find sources from Google Shopping or AdWords overall. If will there some IP address often, check who is owner (whatismyipaddress.com).

Tomas

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

HI,

Unfortunately you are not able to see the ip address of users within the merchant center or Google Analytics.

1. Look at the keywords that are triggering the ads and add negative keywords that maybe driving higher cpc costs. Also look at the device targeting, where do most of your conversion come from Desktop? Mobile? Please see this Google Resource on optimizing your shopping campaigns. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3455573?hl=en

2. You have a very professional website however there are a few issues to address that may help. - A. The product description is a very light grey text which makes it very hard to read. B. They are no credibility indicators on your site other than "Shopper Approved".

3. Are you able to get a Toll Free Phone Number?

4. Are you using an analytics program where you are able to see what behaviors users are exhibiting while on your site?

5. Sign up for the Google Trusted Store: https://www.google.com/trustedstores/ It's free and you'll earn the trusted store badge. I have seen conversion rates double in some cases. It also add a little icon to your shopping ads along with your review rating. This will help build trust with your users.

I know you are not expecting a site critique however once you optimize the ads you'll want to optimize your site for a great user experience.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
There are paid 3rd party services you can use. You add their script to your site and you get reports on IP addresses and suspicious activity. Search for "click fraud detection"

There isn't any Google way of finding out the IP addresses.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lightbulbs A
May 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

if you think, that someone clicks on your ads you have several choices. Contact Google support - http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html and report it.

Look into your log server and find sources from Google Shopping or AdWords overall. If will there some IP address often, check who is owner (whatismyipaddress.com).

Tomas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Troy! I wasn't aware of the negative keyword ability so I looked into it. Most of the keywords are actually solid for the type of products we sell so no luck there, but it's good to know for future tinkering.

I've actually begun scouring our server logs looking for repeat IPs that correlate to the time when I'm seeing increased google shopping click-thrus, per Tomas' suggestion found below and that seems to be a decent workaround for my original issue of needing to identify IP from click-thrus for possible IP blocking purposes.

Also, we applied for Google Trusted Store status but they require a pretty high number of sales per month to qualify. It's hard for a new online business to consistently generate the number they require monthly in order to qualify. That's the same reason we don't use Amazon.

Thanks again for your suggestions though!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Troy,

I wanted to re-reply and thank you again for the negative keywords suggestion. Upon further and more in-depth review I did find a couple REALLY general keywords that were triggering lots of unwanted clicks. I've since added those to my negative keywords list and have seen a substantial decrease in clicks, especially for those items that were running out of control with clicks but no sales.

I actually also removed mobile ads altogether for the meantime - I can't imagine someone actually going thru the process of purchasing our products thru their phone considering how many fields would need to be filled out. I might reassess that decision later, but for the time being I feel my money is better allocated towards a desktop/tablet market.

Thanks again - big help - You da man!

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
You are very welcome!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob, 

I was wondering about the 3rd party services that you are mentioning... I have the same issue and need to get it resolved. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance 

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Hi Anahita,

There are many solutions out there, and I'm not in a position to recommend any. However a good starting point would be Click Cease as they are, to my knowledge, the only service that automatically adds the IP addresses to your AdWords account.