AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Call Forwarding for Shopping Campaign

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My client just wants to run a Shopping campaign.

While they have online shopping at their site, many customers prefer to order over the phone.

Is there anyway of tracking phone calls using Call Forwarding, from a shopping campaign?

(There isn't an extensions tab for shopping campaigns...)

Re: Call Forwarding for Shopping Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
There is a few options. If somebody goes on the website through PPC, visitor can see other phone number then visitors from organic. If visitor call special number, they will track customer behavior and if he bought the product.

Other chance is use mobile tracking from adwords on your website - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095882?hl=en

Tomas

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
There are no ad extensions allowed for shopping campaigns, including call extensions.

You can program analytics events / install AdWords conversion code for mobile click to call clicks from your site, and have them report as conversions in AdWords (with a linked analytics account). You can also use third party call tracking or forwarding numbers on site to track duration, area code, etc. But, no - There is no way to show a phone number, or receive a call directly from a shopping campaign ad.
Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I can place a Google Forwarding number on the site...

...but I figure it won't record calls/conversions for the Shopping campaign because I can't associate a phone number with the campaign (via an extension).

Is that correct?

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Yes... I think... Because a call extension is required. Google's call forwarding numbers are essentially the same as AdWords conversion code in regards to the installation. I would assume, like AdWords conversion code, AdWords call forwarding numbers on site only work for AdWords visits, and only report as conversions in the AdWords interface.

Because of these potential limitations, I only have experience with third party call tracking. When it comes to on site call tracking third party options like Call Rail or Mongoose seem to be the better option. They integrate with analytics, and can track all calls from all sources. In addition, you can also get all the details from analytics that led to phone calls. For shopping campaigns that could include the campaign, adgroup, search query, etc.

If sales are the goal, and a profitable number of sales occur over the phone, shopping campaigns may not be the best/only option for your advertising goals. Shopping ads are still triggered by a users search query. The most profitable search queries are valuable, regardless if you are showing a text ad, shopping ad, or both. For those ready to buy, they may be enticed by a shopping ad. For those who want to call and speak with a human being, a text ad inviting them to call may be more effective.
Tom