AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Barcode GTIN format issue: GTIN can't start with 2, 02, 04, 98, or 99.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm getting the following error in shopify:

"Barcode GTIN format issue: GTIN can't start with 2, 02, 04, 98, or 99."

Any idea why these GTINs are not allowed??

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The first 3 digits are identifiers for the country, member state or manufacturing group. Why they are not allowed is most likely ether an embargo, prohibited country, non supported manufacturing group etc...

So if your barcodes are in the restricted ranges (prefixes 2, 02, 04) or the coupon range (05, 981, 982, 983), than you can not advertise them on Google Shopping.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Helps partially. The items in question are pretty standard such as a headphone and camera lens and plenty of other Merchants are advertising them for sale but mine are getting automatically disapproved. Any further ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

So I'm guessing you are selling products that start with a 2 or 02, in this case you are selling products with barcodes for internal use only, which is in store. For example if you go to Best Buy and you buy these products, they might be using in store bar codes. If you are than these are not allowed to be re sold. Or even further, if these products are stolen from Best Buy, than obviously these are not allowed.

This is a policy with Google Shopping and nothing can be done to fix this issue. A policy is there for a reason.

Hope it helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They start with 04 actually. It seems the items starting with 04 are causing the issue. Any idea what 04 items stand for?

Once again many other Merchants are selling these items.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

04 is also only for internal use (in store)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's the item in question: Beyerdynamic T 5 P Second Generation Over-Ear Closed-Back Audiophile Headphones

The GTIN is 04010118719004 but there are plenty of ebay sellers which are obviously not authorised resellers of the item. How are they able are no disallowed?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This is a member to member forum for Google Shopping for any eBay related questions, I recommend you ask them here : https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/bd-p/selling-db

For any Google Shopping policy violations, you can submit these here : https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy?hl=en&p=shop

If you have any feedback for Google, please submit this in Google Merchant > top right corner > Feedback.

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

what an odd response!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I was merely guiding you what you can do next, I'm a volunteer and not part of Google or know there internal workings. I can only help as far as my knowledge goes and what is publicly available on Google's documentation. My knowledge on the matter has exceeded.

So the only suggestion I have, if you see violations, than report the violation here : https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy?hl=en&p=shop

Hope it helps.