AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Automatic item disapprovals due to policy violation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good afternoon 

I am hoping to get some help from you if possible. 

Some of my items have been disapproved due to the following reason 

I have spoken to support on the phone and chat. They cant find anything wrong with the listings themselves and are unable to tell me why these items are being disapproved. 

I could really do with sorting this out as although at the moment only 2% of my items are affected it is increasing.   

Here are a few of the items that have been disapproved 

http://www.platinumpets.co.uk/johnsons-pigeon-mite-powder

http://www.platinumpets.co.uk/phytopet-immune-30ml

http://www.platinumpets.co.uk/pro-plan-puppy-large-breed-athletic-rich-in-lamb-with-rice-14kg

It was suggested by telephone support that we should try and trick the system in to approving the items by changing the product id, description and title. we did this for one item and it did not work 

google have now run out of ideas and have advised us to remove the items from the feed. 

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. 

Thank you for your time

kind regards

wayne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Automatic item disapprovals due to policy violation

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Wayne

It is never the answer to change ID etc for an item, if the item has been caught under automated review then this will occur again. This would also be the case for a disapproved/suspended item found under manual review. Altering the ID, or alternative attributes to "fool" Google, will never result in a long term answer and could also see your account suspended permanently for continued violation.

Instead, the reasoning behind the disapproval must be found. 

Have you asked for a manual review of your items? 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6103800

Within your Google Merchant Center dashboard (diagnosis) are you being shown any errors?

There is a small chance, it could be getting caught under a restricted product 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2731539?hl=en-GB - Pet Prescriptions

Google Shopping allows the promotion of pet pharmacies and pet pharmaceuticals in the United States and Canada only. Merchants promoting pet pharmacies and pet pharmaceuticals to the United States and Canada must be accredited by the Vet-VIPPS Programme and certified by Google.

However, this wouldn't explain the dog food.

For this, your pricing could be an issue, as automated review may mismatch the price, due to the £46.00 being before the purchase price, this would show as a mismatch pricing within your account.

Can you take a look and let me know the answers to the above and we can go from there.?

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Wayne

It is never the answer to change ID etc for an item, if the item has been caught under automated review then this will occur again. This would also be the case for a disapproved/suspended item found under manual review. Altering the ID, or alternative attributes to "fool" Google, will never result in a long term answer and could also see your account suspended permanently for continued violation.

Instead, the reasoning behind the disapproval must be found. 

Have you asked for a manual review of your items? 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6103800

Within your Google Merchant Center dashboard (diagnosis) are you being shown any errors?

There is a small chance, it could be getting caught under a restricted product 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2731539?hl=en-GB - Pet Prescriptions

Google Shopping allows the promotion of pet pharmacies and pet pharmaceuticals in the United States and Canada only. Merchants promoting pet pharmacies and pet pharmaceuticals to the United States and Canada must be accredited by the Vet-VIPPS Programme and certified by Google.

However, this wouldn't explain the dog food.

For this, your pricing could be an issue, as automated review may mismatch the price, due to the £46.00 being before the purchase price, this would show as a mismatch pricing within your account.

Can you take a look and let me know the answers to the above and we can go from there.?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the tip with regards to the product id. I did not know it was against google policy so thanks for that glad i got it on a chat and can prove i was advised to do this by a google representative.

All i wanted from the beginning was the reason for the disapproval. They have manually reviewed these and cant find anything wrong with the listing itself. All google can come up with is that the algorithm could be picking up similar words to words that are not permitted.

I was being shown some errors under diagnosis. However i have sorted out as many of these as i can. most of them were silly errors on my part for example 2 spaces in a image name and therefore google thinks the image is invalid. Incorrect product identifiers, incorrect google category, product page can not be accessed from a mobile device.

there were literally one or two in each category

with regards to the pricing the item was already disapproved before i put the sale items on. so that has not caused the issue.

Any other ideas would be appreciated

thanks

Wayne

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also getting the same "Automatic item disapprovals due to policy violation" on several products. I too was advised by a Google rep to change the product id or the title or the description. When I asked what I should change in the title/description, the rep could not answer.

I have written a feedback to Google suggesting that whenever a product listing is disapproved in this manner, that an actionable reason be given that can be acted on by the merchant to fix the problem. Without an actionable reason, the merchant has very little chance of actually fixing the problem. Right now, the only solution that Google recommends is to remove the product from the data feed.

Greg

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I support a large number of clients feeding their products through Merchant Center and I too have seen a growing number of these in the last year.

I still have technicians recommending reassigning IDs and 'changing' descriptions, just had another one today. I've also had a number of AdWords/GMC tech's admit that there's a known issue causing these, while they still have not listed it as a known issue - https://support.google.com/adwords/known-issues/16732

I have no other reason to post this here other than to say 'yeah, me too!'. I have seen where changing IDs will (naturally) get a product approved again but I would never expect this to be a permanent solution when dealing with bots. If the the bot chose to erroneously flag the product, it very likely will again...AND, if the product is truly in violation of policy...well yeah, same thing applies.

I'm with @Tom_Wilson on this, Best practice would be to never change the ID of a product and especially with the goal of 'fooling' Google's systems. Isn't likely to work, for long.

Wes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm in the same boat - I have disapproved products yet no reason actually given.  It's even more galling that I can see my competitors are listing the items.  I have contacted help on numerous occasions and have been told to change SKU, titles etc. but to no avail.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Steve,

I've alas played along (like we have a choice​) and​ I've​ had some​ luck​...

You say Sku, but don't​ you​ mean Id? They​ are very​ different​. Id will​ actually​ cause the​ system​ to re-catalogue the item​. So with​ that you​ would​ want​ to play​ with title and description​, as to avoid​ terms that​ could​ be causing​ this​. Most​ important​ to make​ the item​ different​.

It's​ not​ ideal​.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, we use SKU for the ID in our feed.  I can't mess around with it as they are used internally for stock control etc.  I've been told on 3 separate times (by Google) to change them in order to 'fool' the system.  Can't do it though without a massive knock on effect.  Madness.

I just wish they were a bit more helpful - it's not as if they're short of resources.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This makes me assume that you're using some sort of integration to an
ERP/Ecomm Platform/POS and you have no means to change the ID you are
feeding or the data in the feed, without changing the source. That's a
problem.

To really optimize data for Google Shopping while maintaining a 'standard'
of your own, it's really nice to use a platform that manages the data (in
the cloud perhaps) between your data source and Google.

We're using a platform we developed, which I'll leave un-named to avoid
sounding spammy, that allows our client's ECommerce storefront data to be
manipulated in the cloud before the data is built into a XML feed file -
the feed file is then hosted there in the cloud for Google's servers to
fetch.

This type of setup offers maximum flexibility to play with the data, before
it goes to Google Shopping, without modifying the source - I can imagine
that you'd like to maximize your use of the available attribute space with
vetted keywords, optimizing your titles and descriptions in a way you might
not like to reflect in your store or local systems. Off topic a bit...but
good argument for having this type of setup, beyond the ability of ID
swapping.

I try to have a method to my madness when I get into this ID-changing game
with Google now - I do sort of serialized-modified IDs, so I can keep track
of the IDs I've modified and what modifications I've made to those IDs.
Sometimes it takes multiple tries to get a client's product accepted and
sometimes there are those stubborn ones, but most of the time this works.

Kindly,
Wes