AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Anyone else think Shopping Campaigns are worse than PLAs?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I look after the PPC campaigns at my business. We had PLAs for a long time and they performed well for us. Then they had to be replaced with Shopping Campaigns. These performed badly at first but we were told to stick with it and make modifications. 

Well, nearly a year later I am finding Shopping Campaigns are still performing far worse than PLAs. 

We spend over £40k a month with Google and I'm thinking of moving some of the budget elsewhere.

I just don't think the algorithms for Shopping Campaigns are as good as PLAs and we have wasted thousands on pointless clicks. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Anyone else think Shopping Campaigns are worse than PLAs?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi J
I absolutely understand where you're coming from. It's important to note and remember that shopping campaigns are a big departure from PLAs which were, in my opinion, much more complicated.

One reason I'll give you for the downward trajectory of your performance is quite simply that Shopping is easier to implement and optimize now. I can tell you that every single one of our clients has recorded significant growth, traffic and sales from Google Shopping in the past year. There's simply more competition that understand how it works better. To put it simply, the free ride for early adopters of PLAs is over. The same thing happened with regular AdWords throughout the years.

In particular, in the UK, there has been a massive influx of new advertisers all sharing the same volume.

You might want to have a look at your shopping specific competitive metrics like your impression share and benchmarks. There's lots of juicy data there that can explain what's happening. Unfortunately, just saying that you're seeing worse performance isn't really enough for us to help pinpoint your issue.

I would encourage you to have a look at the shopping optimization documents here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3455573?hl=en

I can assure you that your competitors have all looked at them.
AdWords is not "set it and forget it". It requires constant care and attention.

If you've optimized all you can and are still not seeing the results you expect, you might consider using the Google Partner Search interface to find someone to help you further.