AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Any Limit to the # of AdWords Accounts Linked to A Merchant Center Account?

J M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
J M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any limit to the number of AdWords accounts you can link to a singular Merchant Center account? I've got in and linked 5 as a test but if I scale this solution for one of our clients we'd need to link 35+ accounts.

Basically all stores in the nation contribute to one product feed and the store IDs are set in custom label 01. Each store wants to support their Shopping campaigns with their own budget so thus we need to create an AdWords account for each of them. I just don't want to start linking them and all of a sudden find I can't link any more half way through the project.

Thanks!
Mike

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Spencer_Wade (Top Contributor)
3w

Re: Any Limit to the # of AdWords Accounts Linked to A Merchant Center Account?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
That would be a policy violation. You can not have multiple accounts for 1 business as this will violate the double serving policy and abuse of advertising network. Only 1 website / Business can have 1 account.

You will need to use 1 Adwords account for all the stores. You can use 1 Merchant Center account with multiple local store product feeds. Then link just 1 account to Adwords and create campaigns targeting each store area.

The reason you can't do what you want to do is that it's not allowed and has no reason to offer more linking accounts.

Hope this helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @J M,

Great question, to avoid any confusion might be worth reaching out to support. I looked around on the help center, didnt see anything specific to the question. This link should open up chat or email to get the answer from the source. If you get a definitive answer come back and let us know, it could help others! 

EDIT: Spoke to support about the issue, when you start the chat they will be able to look deeper into your scenario. "I checked this with the team. With one email you can create 5 AdWords account only. So you can try to create Adwords account with different email and add the same as admin in merchant account and try to link. I asked the account details so that I can check the emails you have linked and check whether I can add it from my end or not."

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Spencer_Wade (Top Contributor)
3w

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
That would be a policy violation. You can not have multiple accounts for 1 business as this will violate the double serving policy and abuse of advertising network. Only 1 website / Business can have 1 account.

You will need to use 1 Adwords account for all the stores. You can use 1 Merchant Center account with multiple local store product feeds. Then link just 1 account to Adwords and create campaigns targeting each store area.

The reason you can't do what you want to do is that it's not allowed and has no reason to offer more linking accounts.

Hope this helps.
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

[ Edited ]
J M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
J M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well chat support confirmed no limit to the number of AdWords accounts linked to a Merchant Center. They are digging deeper on the possibility of getting penalized as double serving.

I understand double serving violations when you are trying to stuff the SERPS with your ad selling the same thing. In this particular case each store has its own unique inventory and the Shopping ads would be filtered by the store location so that they are only promoting that store's unique inventory - all of them are not all promoting the full product feed. The opportunity to double serve could happen if two stores sell the same item but my understanding is that the Ads system is smart enough to only show the store who wins the auction. Worse case scenario I've got multiple accounts that are bidding against each other.

If Google was concerned about double serving why even give the option to link multiple AdWords accounts to a single Merchant Center? Technically these are all individual businesses not the same business - they are just all accessing their national product feed and segmenting to their own products.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Correct, but only when there is 1 account, if you have multiple Google Ads account it will not be smart enough and will in this scenario fall under the double serving violation. The worst case scenario is that your whole business will be suspended for life. Hence why you should only have 1 account.

Whether or not Google has holes in allowing you to circumvent policy does not mean it is ok to do so. It is whether or not what you are trying violates the policy. In this case it will.

You seem to already understand the policy that would be violated, so as you are (I guess) the advertising manager, it is you that is responsible for your clients account and need to adhere to all policies as you too will be suspended for serious violations.

Hope this helps.

J M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
J M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Basically, I'm trying to figure out if the recommendation is the easy way or the hard way.

These individual stores want to pay for their Shopping ads on their credit cards and set their own Shopping budgets. The easy way to do this is to create individual AdWords accounts, put their credit card on file, and set campaign budgets in line with their monthly budget. The con is the double serving potential and getting everyone suspended.

The hard way is one account with a campaign set up for each store and their monthly spend being controlled by the campaign budget. The con here is that paying on their credit cards becomes impossible because you can only have one credit card on file for an AdWords account. Thus we'd have to do an invoice type situation where somebody (either us the agency or their corporate franchisor)gets the monthly invoice and then individually bills each store for their ads that month.

Before I go the hard route I wanted to rule out all other solutions. Outside of the billing fiasco I actually like the singular AdWords account solution. That way we have the maximum amount of data pouring in for use with machine learning bid strategies.