AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords - Google Shopping Spelling Mistakes

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but, wondered how others are getting on with spelling mistakes. Am I right in saying with a normal, regular Adwords account you can switch off hits that aren't spelt correctly?

So, why do we not have this ability with shopping campaigns? Saying, haven't checked for a while. Is there a way to stop my adds from showing when words are not spelt correctly?

How are you dealing with this issue?

Obviously, Google doesn't care about this. They make money from this ridiculous situation.

Thanks,

Ian

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords - Google Shopping Spelling Mistakes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ian,

Just to clarify, are you talking about incoming search terms that have not been spelt correctly or products within your feed which aren't spelt correctly?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Heh, Monday morning.. Yes, thanks, that's right, incoming search terms that are not spelt correctly.

Do you have any ideas on how to deal with this? OK, maybe not a huge deal to some, but, over time we're losing money, unnecessarily, because we have no way of controlling this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

generally, the algorithms will attempt to infer relevance
from the user's history and the search-term's context
despite any spelling mistakes.

if specific search-terms are irrelevant first, be certain those terms
do not exist within any submitted data (e.g. title, description, etc.).

otherwise, to switch-off specific spelling mistakes, simply add
them to the negative-word list for the shopping-campaign.

currently, there is no generic off-switch for spelling mistakes,
such as exact-match, as there are with other campaign-types,
since shopping-campaigns do not use keywords -- however,
there are other campaign-types and ad-formats where such
control is available.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080593

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Just a quick reminder (to save you time) that you can quickly add those negative keywords directly from the search term report.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
OK, thanks guys. I am adding rubbish to the negative keyword lists, but, the lists are becoming very large. I even asked Google for more negative keyword space (currently 20,000 p/group), but, of course that was never going to happen.

They did suggest that I use "campaigns" in stead of groups, for particular products and to make use of the keyword lists facility to increase the amount of negative keywords I could apply. Wasn't ideal, at the time, but, it has helped.

Looking forward though, how is this situation sustainable? At some point, I will run out of negative keyword space, if things carry on as they are.

Also, the fact that Google now say "exact" isn't exact any more has just made things worse, in my opinion. eg. say I did not want [hard drives] but wanted [hard drive], how do I now know if the term I want will still trigger my ad? I now have no precise control of what I want and do not want.

I own a business and want to run that business. I do not want to become a Google Adwords / Shopping expert.

Anyway, rambling now. Again, many thanks to all.

Ian