AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Adding Negative Keywords per Ad Groups in Shopping Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am thinking about creating a Campaigns structure where I would create separate ad groups that target one product group and exclude all others so that I can use more relevant negative keywords only for that product groups. Do you guys think this is a good alternative to the problem where we can't put negative keywords per products groups?

Tnx

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adding Negative Keywords per Ad Groups in Shopping Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Vane V seems like a sensible approach to me.

Personally, I'd probably have a Campaign level negative list of common negatives, then use only specifics at the Group level, but you may already have done that.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
In the end you have to look at how easy it is to manage.

For example I would have one campaign with multiple ad groups in apparel targeting with one ad group polo shirts, than another for t shirts another for hoodies etc...

I try to have around 100 products per ad group anything more than the search terms become a bit hard to filter.

Hope this helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The problem is: some of the brand queries that my product listings shows up for are relevant for one group of products and irrelevant for others. I don't know this happens and I want to exclude them but I would loose valuable impressions and possible conversions for other product groups.

Are you saying that I make different campaigns for different product categories?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I'm not sure if having many campaigns vs one campaign and many ad groups has much difference in what you want to do.

I would have one campaign so that your campaign settings are applied to the whole shopping section. Than have multiple ad groups separated by brand, category, product type or custom labels . And separate them by what you want to achieve.

You can than exclude for that ad group.

You can add these brands into one ad group and then only add the products that you want to use which need exclusion of branded words, than in another ad group add the others.

As mentioned before set it up so that you can easily manage it. If what you are trying to do is going to be complex and or hard to manage than choose a different method.

In the end you have to calculate what provides the best ROI. Including the time you spend to set it up and maintaining it. It is the ROI or ROAS that has the final say in my opinion.

Hope it helps.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’