1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

2 sites

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have 2 sites and some of our products are sold on both sites via PLAs / Shopping Campaigns. I know Google doesn't like duplicate content. If the products are advertised differently with different titles etc. is that acceptable or can we only sell each product on one site? I can see some of our competitors selling the same thing on multiple sites. So if people set up different merchant accounts etc. in different names, how does Google know they are the same people?

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: 2 sites

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

unfortunately, no.

google has rules for both duplicate content and

duplicate physical inventory items being listed.

https://support.google.com/merchants/#topic=3404779

only one single listing per physical inventory item

is allowed regardless of the number of websites.

potential policy violations by others may be reported to google --

https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy

google may disapprove or (permanently) suspended items,

data-feeds, websites, or accounts, at any time -- however,

google tends not to disclose any information concerning

their policy violation detection systems.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

unfortunately, no.

google has rules for both duplicate content and

duplicate physical inventory items being listed.

https://support.google.com/merchants/#topic=3404779

only one single listing per physical inventory item

is allowed regardless of the number of websites.

potential policy violations by others may be reported to google --

https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy

google may disapprove or (permanently) suspended items,

data-feeds, websites, or accounts, at any time -- however,

google tends not to disclose any information concerning

their policy violation detection systems.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Does this apply to standard text ads too or just PLAs / Shopping Campaigns?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi J_Leicester,

As Celebird said It applies to all ads. Text, Image, PLA shopping etc.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
This issue of duplication seems to apply to Google Shopping (merchant centre feeds) only and not text ads? Can someone clarify?

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2700314

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi J_Leicester,

Although it's probably frowned upon, Google has yet to rectify overlap of ads between text and shopping.  For years and still quite commonly today, I'll see ads from the same advertiser in both the text ad positions and in the shopping ads. I'm not exactly sure if this is related to what you're asking or not but thought I'd give it a shot.

(I hope this image works, I've been having trouble - you can see this for yourself with any common product search.  I used Nike Sneakers here.)

duplicate.jpg

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well now they are sending out emails to people threatening them with suspension.

We have 2 sites and sell a few things on both sites but we have competitors with whole clone sites who don't seem to be affected.

I don't think Google can tell if people use separate addresses or credit cards or accounts etc..

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

J_Leicester wrote:

I don't think Google can tell if people use separate addresses or credit cards or accounts etc..

Don't be so sure of that...there are numerous examples of this exact situation on this community where one account will run into a problem, someone will try a backdoor approach to open a second or third account and get nabbed before an ad even runs. Think about this...it's Google you're talking about here.

Share the content of this email that is being sent out.  Also, I'm not so sure suspension is the first offense result any longer for double serving (PLA/Shopping aside).  However, if you abuse anything, suspension is definitely possible. I've heard some situations where Google will link the accounts in the back end so only one ad will serve at a time.  

If it's that much of an issue, report your competitors - the whole "They do it why can't I" argument isn't going to hold any water if you're flagged for violations. You can find many cases here where reports have been filed and investigated.  

Without concrete examples, there isn't much any of us can help with.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’