AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting new users and persisting in the future

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When we create tests, we often want to target new users. I understand you do this by using the ”time since first visit” field in Google Optimize. Once a visitor is bucketed, do they persistently see the same variation for the foreseeable future? Or, after the end of the time period since the first visit, are they exempt from the test and see the control again?

For example, if the time since the first visit is set to 1 hour and the visitor revisits the website after 2 hours or two days do they continue to see the same variation they were bucketed into on their first visit?

Thanks,

Dave.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If you use less than one hour, users should not see the experiment set to <3600 seconds.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave, I had the same question. Were you able to figure it out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jed,

No I didn’t receive a definitive answer. We’ve just been setting the “time since first visit” to one-hour, as recommended by Google, and not worrying about it.

If you find a better answer, let me know!

Thanks,

Dave.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will do. Thanks for the reply!

Re: Targeting new users and persisting in the future

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dave,

If Optimize and Google Analytics are connected, I've been able to setup an audience with a first session date.  Seems to work well but needs GA to execute.  Not sure if this is helpful.

image.png