AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Send User directly to Variant and remember it when he comes back

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up a Variant Test where our Homepage has 3 Subpages. At the moment 100% of the Traffic is send to the Original Version.

When a User visits a Subpage like /free-trial i want him to be redirected to the /free-trial page when he visits the Original Version (planery.io)

I thought this was working a few days ago but i noticed that he won't be redirected to the /free-trial page when he revisits the page.

Is this possible with Optimize and how can i archive this result?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ilja J
March

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

OK thanks, got it now.

No, this is not supported for an experiment, and I can't think of ways to achieve it for an experiment.

I am not sure if such a behavior would actually bias the data for an experiment - often this can be a tricky point.  In general in order to have valid results that you can later trust to make a decision, you need to have symmetric and unbiased behavior for the variants.

Perhaps you could simply "exclude" users that have already visited planery.io/free-trial by themselves (before coming back to planery.io) from the experiment, and this is possible either using a cookie or using GA audiences (available only for Optimize 360).

Finally, if what you want to achieve is not an experiment but some sort of "personalization" (i.e. simply always redirect users that have been on planery.io/free-trial to that page if they visit planery.io) and don't care about experiment results, you could also achieve this by setting your traffic of your variant to 100% and either use a cookie or GA audiences.

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi,

I am not exactly sure that I have understood what exactly you are trying to do, but in general redirect experiments should consistently redirect users to the same variant on every following visit.

For example if you have an experiment with original

http://planery.io

and a variant

http://planery.io/free-trial

then if a user visits the http://planery.io and is assigned to a variant that redirects him to 

http://planery.io/free-trial, this should happen again on every following visit to http://planery.io, until the experiment ends.

Sometimes you may become confused when you have done "preview" and closed the browser window (you may still be in preview mode) and due to browser caching.

Go back to the experiment page and make sure that you are not in "preview mode" and also either clear browser cache or wait for 15 minutes.

See if this would perhaps fix the issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dimitris,

thank you for your response.

I think this example will clarify my question:

The original is planery.io and the variant is planery.io/free-trial.

Now the user goes on his first time visit directly to planery.io/free-trial.

The next time when he visits planery.io i would like him to be redirected to planery.io/free-trial.

I hope this clarifies my question.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ilja J
March

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

OK thanks, got it now.

No, this is not supported for an experiment, and I can't think of ways to achieve it for an experiment.

I am not sure if such a behavior would actually bias the data for an experiment - often this can be a tricky point.  In general in order to have valid results that you can later trust to make a decision, you need to have symmetric and unbiased behavior for the variants.

Perhaps you could simply "exclude" users that have already visited planery.io/free-trial by themselves (before coming back to planery.io) from the experiment, and this is possible either using a cookie or using GA audiences (available only for Optimize 360).

Finally, if what you want to achieve is not an experiment but some sort of "personalization" (i.e. simply always redirect users that have been on planery.io/free-trial to that page if they visit planery.io) and don't care about experiment results, you could also achieve this by setting your traffic of your variant to 100% and either use a cookie or GA audiences.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the clear response - helped me a lot!