AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Optimize not tracking redirect variant properly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Optimize Team,

Here is my container ID: GTM-NMGMLJF. I appear to be having a similar problem as many others. I can see the B variant showing up from time to time however, the reporting I'm seeing doesn't seem to show a 50/50 split I requested in my redirect test. After 48 hours, I'm showing 15 views of the A page and 3 views of the B page. When I run diagnostics it shows things are set up properly. Note we are not using GTM for this experiment even though we have it implemented on the landing pages. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Optimize not tracking redirect variant properly

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi

Just in case you haven't figured out this already: you shouldn't really expect to see a 50/50 split of views and sessions.

The way that Optimize works is by randomly assigning a variant to each of your visitors. But of course 'random' doesn't mean exactly 50/50 right.

The big difference though is usually due to differences in visitor behavior.
Each of your visitors will be assigned to a variant and consistently see it on every following visit.

So if it just happens to have some very loyal visitors randomly assigned to one of the variants, you may see such differences, especially when you don't have a lot of traffic.