AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Optimize & Excluding Adwords Traffic

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am implementing Google Optimize for a clients website, and we are planning to split test a new page layout.

I was wondering if there's a way of excluding adwords traffic from this test?

Thank You

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Optimize & Excluding Adwords Traffic

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi

This will depend on your exact definition (i.e. the user had visited the site before coming from an ad, or came back again later etc).
Note that once a user has been assigned to an experiment. all future conversions at any time (until experiment ends) will be attributed to his assigned variant.

If we ignore those complexities, then you can add a targeting rule for a query parameter - using one of the query parameters that adwords will add to your URL (For details https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/6305348?hl=en)

For example if you have a query parameter for campaign, and want to exclude a single campaign, you could add a rule

Campaign not equals <your campaign>

If you want to exclude all ad traffic, you could add:

Campaign equals undefined