Optimize
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding internal IP for experiments

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I need your help - I have filtered out internal traffic IP address in Google Analytics so it doesn't mess with my data. Is this automatically filtered out for Google Optimize as well (so it doesn't count sessions or goals in an experiment), or do I need to exclude it manually for each experiment?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ljubomir M
May 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Google Optimize uses the data of the Google Analytics view that you have associated with the experiment, so you should have no problem (as long as you have used the view where you exclude internal traffic). You don't need to exclude it manually.

You can confirm by visiting your page from another browser window and looking at the realtime number of visitors on each variation (from the Experiment details page). Your visits shouldn't affect them. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ljubomir M
May 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Google Optimize uses the data of the Google Analytics view that you have associated with the experiment, so you should have no problem (as long as you have used the view where you exclude internal traffic). You don't need to exclude it manually.

You can confirm by visiting your page from another browser window and looking at the realtime number of visitors on each variation (from the Experiment details page). Your visits shouldn't affect them. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good, as I supposed. Thanks a lot!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

if i created a view for say, AdWords traffic and associated that with my experiment - would that mean my test would only be applied to AdWords traffic? 

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi

You are right, for measurement purposes (seeing which variant does better) only the Adwords traffic will matter. Keep in mind though that the experiment will be seen by everyone else and this may perhaps have side-effects in user behavior.

For example a user that goes to your page directly will be exposed to the experiment (unless you also fix the Optimize targeting rules), even though he will not be measured.

If he then comes back again through adwords on a following visit (which will be measured), it may be that his behavior is also affected by that earlier visit.  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks - Very helpfull 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am currently struggeling with excluding the internal traffic from the optimize results.
Due to some specific reasons I can't filter the internal traffic from the assigned GA account. Therefore, the proposed way doesn't work for my case. Is there any other way to exclude internal traffic from:
1. the results only (sessions, converions etc.)
2. from the whole experiment ?

Looking forward to find some help. Thanks a lot!

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi

I am not sure how familiar you are with Google Analytics views - you don't have to filter internal traffic from your whole GA account, but only from the view associated with your experiments.

For example you could create a new Google Analytics view specifically to use with Optimize, and use its filtering options to exclude traffic from your internal ip addresses. Then you can link your Optimize container with that view - your main view will still continue collecting your internal traffic.

Other options that I can think of are not great:

- If you have a very small company, you could perhaps install a google analytics blocker extension and configure it so that you don't sent GA hits to your own site.

- If there is a way to detect internal traffic in javascript (but I don't think that there is) you could write a custom javascript targeting rule in Optimize and use it to not run the experiment on internal addresses.

Hope that this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your fast reply. It seems that I misunderstood the first answer. I'll give the new GA view a go and see if it works. I also did some research about excluding internal traffic using custom js but couldn't find any proper solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Marcel: What is the purpose of your experiment?