AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Distincts url in same experiment?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website with 11 languages and i want to create a Optimize test that add a querystring value to url.

For example:

www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche => www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche/?test=1 (spanish)

www.XXXX.net/hire/car => www.XXXX.net/hire/car/?test=1 (english)

When I create a experiment I only can select origin url.

I have to create a distinct experiment for every language? I think that its better only ONE experiment for all languages.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Centauro I
March

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi

You can use a single experiment for all languages. The "experiment URL" is just one example URL used for display - you can modify the targeting conditions using operators like regex, "starts with" or simply paste all the urls that you like as  a list.

Then provide the variant using a "relative url" which in you case would be ?test=1.

If you used one of the urls as an example i.e. www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche you should see what the redirect will be www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche?test=1

This will be the only use of the "experiment URL", the experiment will do the same for all pages that match your conditions.

Use the preview functionality to test it. You will be sent to  www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche which should then send you to www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche?test=1&<some more experiment parameters>

But use that browser tab to paste the other urls like www.XXXX.net/hire/car and you will see that those get redirected in the same way.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Centauro I
March

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi

You can use a single experiment for all languages. The "experiment URL" is just one example URL used for display - you can modify the targeting conditions using operators like regex, "starts with" or simply paste all the urls that you like as  a list.

Then provide the variant using a "relative url" which in you case would be ?test=1.

If you used one of the urls as an example i.e. www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche you should see what the redirect will be www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche?test=1

This will be the only use of the "experiment URL", the experiment will do the same for all pages that match your conditions.

Use the preview functionality to test it. You will be sent to  www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche which should then send you to www.XXXX.net/alquiler/coche?test=1&<some more experiment parameters>

But use that browser tab to paste the other urls like www.XXXX.net/hire/car and you will see that those get redirected in the same way.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for your reply.

You says to me that if i have a experiment with "Page url" www.xxxxx.net/alquiler/coche/ then i make diferents variants with relative url ?test=1 and ?test=2.
Then in "Targeting" -> When -> Additionals conditions -> URL contains any of "/hire/car/" or "/location/voiture/" or "/vermietung/auto/".

I think that if a customer visit our website in German language and visit webpage www.xxxxx.net/vermietung/auto/ then Optimizes will redirect visitor to www.xxxxxx.net/alquiler/coche/?test=1 or ?test=2.

At your comment you says that not but i need to test in production with some case and now I have 3 experiments working and can't activate more until not finish one.

I will contact when i can try it.
Kind regards,
Fran

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Yes this is right.

The "Page url" for a redirect experiment is just for display. What will determine when the experiment will run in the "Targeting".

The targeting rule that you list seems good.

When you use a "relative URL" for a variant, this is not based on the "Page url" but on the actual URL of the visitor.

For example your visitor may have a URL (when visiting your site) like:

http://www.xxxxx.net/vermietung/auto/?someParameter#someFragment

This will match the rules of the experiment and if you have a "relative URL" ?test=1, this will be "merged" with his current url and will be redirected to:

http://www.xxxxx.net/vermietung/auto/?someParameter&test=1#someFragment

You don't need to wait for your experiments to end to test it out: make up a draft experiment and use the "preview" functionality. In that preview tab, you can paste all different URLs for various languages (with or without other parameters etc) and you will see what would happen for your visitors.

It is always a good idea to use the "preview" functionality and test out various URLs, browsers and devices before running your experiment in production.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ooohhh it's true.

I'm testing now and works fine as you says.

Also comment that this have a bad UX because it seems that redirects to "Page URL" experiment. Also appears this comment in right column: "The page URL doesn't match the URL targeting rules."

Thanks for your reply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google benim işletmem doğrulama