AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Cookie based targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have this strange issue, when I create an experiment, I can see one variation and the next day I see a different one on the same browser and same cookie, is this normal?

I used Optimized couple of months ago and back them, only one variation would be shown to one speciffic cookie. 

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter F
April

Cookie based targeting

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

No, it isn't normal. Do both the GA client ID and the GA experiment cookie (gaexp) remain the same?

Could it be that you are not seeing the actual experiment but "preview" variants (you have still enabled the "preview" mode for your browser?).

Go to the experiment page and look at the top-right for a related message. Alternatively look for related cookies.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter F
April

Cookie based targeting

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

No, it isn't normal. Do both the GA client ID and the GA experiment cookie (gaexp) remain the same?

Could it be that you are not seeing the actual experiment but "preview" variants (you have still enabled the "preview" mode for your browser?).

Go to the experiment page and look at the top-right for a related message. Alternatively look for related cookies.

Cookie based targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply!

I think I know where the issue was, I tried to implement Optimize via GTM and specifically trough the option for Optimize tag. When I however add it as a simple HTML tag, it seems to work.