Optimize
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Discover how to select who is eligible to be in your experiment, and when they’re served experiment variations.
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords A/B landing page test

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi 

Is there a way how I can isolate Adwords traffic and split test a URL?

cheers  

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If visitors are coming in from certain campaigns, you can mess around with the parameters in the targeting section of your experiment (e.g. utm equals some-campaign-name). You've now isolated the AdWords traffic, and can test on whatever URL(s) you decide to test on.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

We are not using manual tagging, only auto-tagging and soon some Track Values.  Im thinking this can only really be done from within AdWords as a draft/experiment  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6250195

I'm really intrigued with targeting options within Google Optimize. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I see from this article (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?hl=en) that with auto-tagging, you still have a parameter to read off of within the targeting options of Google Optimize using gclid.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Why not point adwords traffic to a specific page (yourdomain.com/landingpagetest) and then A/B test that page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Simon, 

I am doing A/B testing an Adwords landing page.

There are 2 ways you can do it.

1. Create experiment in Adwords to split traffic to 2 landing pages. You can see the difference in conversion from adwords report

2. Send all traffic from Adwords to a dedicated landing page and test it with Optimize

Note: Both ways require you to create a separate landing page for Adwords. Just remember to add canonical tag on the duplicate page to avoid penalty.

Hope it help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Replying to this old thread for any future visitors.

Since the original post Optimize has added an AdWords targeting feature. See the help center article for details.