I'm trying to run a simple A/B test targeting a specific Adwords campaign. In the Targeting I have URL Contains www...... AND Adwords campaign equals any of ......
I waited for a few days and I didn't see any data. I tried running the exact same A/B test, except this time I did not apply the Adwords targeting and viola! I see some data populating. I don't know why the Adwords targeting isn't working for me?
Appreciate any help.
Could you also confirm a few items listed in the troubleshooting section of the AdWords targeting help center article?
The AdWords integration so far only supports traffic on the search network. Are your targeted campaigns running and receiving search network clicks?
The AdWords integration requires auto-tagging enabled on the targeted campaigns' AdWords accounts. Is that enabled for your campaigns?
To dig a bit deeper, the gclid parameter that auto-tagging appends to the landing-page URL must be present in the URL when the Optimize container is loaded. If your systems are stripping off the gclid through redirects or other means before arriving at the landing page, you'll need to change that.
If the gclid is present in the landing page URL and your Optimize container is installed on the landing page correctly, you should be able to notice the gclid parameter from the landing page URL included on the container request.
Hopefully the solution to your issue is covered in the foregoing. If not, I'm happy to provide further assistance.
Thanks for your response!
Yes, test is only targeting campaigns serving ads on Search network
Yes, Auto-tagging is enabled
Not sure why the Optimize container wouldn't be installed correctly since I'm able to run standard tests just fine. I wasn't clear on this part. Could you elaborate where I'd see this?
"........you should be able to notice the gclid parameter from the landing page URL included on the container request."
It's worth mentioning out that over the years, there have been a couple iterations of the Optimize container installation. Some early adopters may still be using methods other than what is currently recommended in the product. Others attempt to customize the installation beyond what is recommended. While many Optimize features may continue to work in those circumstances, AdWords targeting relies on the "ga('require', 'GTM-...')" method displayed in the UI (tag management solutions, such as GTM, that use that method should also work).
This help center article for checking auto-tagging setup is useful for investigating AdWords integrations that rely on auto-tagging with a gclid parameter. It focuses on diagnosing gclid parameter propagation from AdWords to Analytics. In this case, however, you're interested in gclid propagation from AdWords to Optimize.
First, follow the steps in the article to verify that when you enter your final ad URL with a gclid parameter, you arrive at your landing page and the gclid parameter is still in the URL. If this is not the case, you'll need to investigate your systems along that path.
Second, where the article instructs you to "Use the filter icon to help sort or search for collect requests", instead filter for requests for your Optimize container ID (e.g. GTM-BCDF). If you don't know your container ID, you can find your it in 'Install Optimize plugin' step of the 'Container Information' panel on the experiments list page of the UI.
If your container ID is GTM-BCDF and the gclid value present in your landing page URL is abcdefg, then you should see a network request like:
If the network request for your container does not include the gclid parameter, then you need to investigate your container installation.
If you have additional issues, you may post your container ID here, and I can take a look.
We actually installed Optimize code about a month ago by following what was recommended by Google. When I enter Final URL with the gclid parameter, the landing page loads with the gclid parameter still present in the URL.
Here's our Container ID: GTM-MJXMMSX
Appreciate all the help so far.
Re: AdWords Targeting
I've inspected one of your ad click redirect chains. Unfortunately, I was not successful posting the raw URLs here on the forum. Here's what happens:
- googleadservices redirects to marinsm, appending a gclid to the URL
- marinsm redirects to forafinancial, propagating the gclid in the forafinancial URL
- forafinancial redirects to itself, but strips off the gclid
- the page that actually loads does not have the gclid
- subsequent calls to Google Analytics or Google Optimize cannot propagate the missing gclid.
You'll need to change the system serving forafinancial so that it retains the gclid in the landing page. Until then, Analytics sessions will not be properly joined to ad clicks and Optimize AdWords targeting will not function.