AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get answers to frequently asked questions, read the glossary of testing terminology and explore some example experiment ideas to get the creative juices flowing.
Guide Me
star_border

What to A/B Test?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am looking to pitch a proposal to a prospective client on using Google Optimize for A/B testing. With the proposal, I also want to give them few A/B Test ideas on their website. However, I am not sure what ideas should I give behind what hypothesis. I read somewhere on the internet that your A/B Test hypothesis should go like this "If (we change this) then (we will get this) and the rationale is (this)". So my question is should I find out the rationale first before thinking on "if we change this". 

I have quite a few ideas behind "if we change this" but shouldn't that come after I have the rationale. How do you come up with a hypothesis? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Archit S
May 2017

What to A/B Test?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

There are macro and micro conversions.Its all effects to your main conversions like purchase, sign-up to newsletter etc.

You need to collect qualitative and quantitave data to analyze user behavior like I said.Once you analyzed customers,You need to create hypotesis like "If I change this then It increases this".

If you have more furthers questions,feel free to ask under this discussion.

Thanks,

Doruk

View solution in original post

What to A/B Test?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

First,You have to analyze user behaviors on website.For analyzing you can use some tools that have video recording and heatmaps.Then you can decide which elements needs to improve and create the hypotesis among these.

What to A/B Test?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, Doruk for the suggestion. So basically we need to work on the elements where we want visitors to engage more but they aren't doing it right now.

Do these elements have to be part of the conversion funnel? Because there are definitely few areas/elements where visitors are not engaging as per the business expectations. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Archit S
May 2017

What to A/B Test?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

There are macro and micro conversions.Its all effects to your main conversions like purchase, sign-up to newsletter etc.

You need to collect qualitative and quantitave data to analyze user behavior like I said.Once you analyzed customers,You need to create hypotesis like "If I change this then It increases this".

If you have more furthers questions,feel free to ask under this discussion.

Thanks,

Doruk