Optimize
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand the information in your Optimize reports and in your Google Analytics reports.
Guide Me
star_border

Optimize snippet - Decreases Bounce Rate

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After adding Optimize snippet in GTM to be triggered on all pages, our Bounce rate in Analytics decreased by 50%.  Can somebody recommend the solution or explain why this happens?  The snippet is the one google recommends:

<script>
    (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
    (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
    m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
    })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXX-X', 'auto');
    ga('require', 'GTM-XXXXXX');
 //   ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're having the same issue. Any luck yet?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I personally use the Google tag manager and it seems to work great. It there a reason you have the pageview commented out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dmitry may be running GTM and the Optimize code is hardcoded into the site, so there's no need for a second "pageview" event to be triggered.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That makes sense. If that is the case, wouldn't the GA code be firing twice and messing with the bounce rate. AKA sending 2 hits per session therefore decreasing the bounce by 50%? (even if the pageview is commented out there might be other info being passed twice)

Just spit ballin' here. That may be completely wrong. If you have GTM setup already maybe try running Optimize through GTM and remove the hard code. 

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/7164339?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Brennan A, you're right on the money. Turns out I hadn't noticed that the pageview event needed to be commented out, until after this. Made the change and now we're back to tracking the normal bounce rate ranges.

Thanks for tossing ideas back and forth.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Teamwork! Makes the dreamwork