Optimize
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Understand the information in your Optimize reports and in your Google Analytics reports.
Guide Me
star_border

Optimize is generating wrong referral traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Since I started using Google Optimize the parameters that are added include and utm_referrer that equals the website. So all of the conversion data is now marked as "website.com / referral" instead of the real source & medium.

I exclueded the website from the referral list, and the data seems to clean up, however I think this is probably just a workaround. I can't be in Optimize's interest to overwrite all the source & medium data. Has anyone seen this and knows a solution?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having this same issue where "utm_referrer" is appended to every URL that is in the test, which seems to overwrite any original source traffic labeling. Lisa-Marie: Have you found an alternate solution to fix the issue? When you excluded the website from the referral list, what do you mean the "data cleaned up" - did you start receiving the original source traffic labeling again? This link suggests it might be an issue with GTM: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/tag-manager/TzM_Qtkf9ww;context-place=forum/tag-manag...

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Devon,
we never really figured out why this issue occurred and how else it can be fixed. However excluding the website from the referral list worked out fine and we did receive the original source/medium labels. So eventually we gave up looking Smiley Wink Does the referral exclusion list work for you or is the data still obscured?
As for implementation: We deployed Optimize through the Google Tag Manager, and the Page Hiding Snippet directly on the page. We tried this same setup for several different clients and didn't experience the same issues with Optimize. So maybe this was just a bug in the earlier stages of the tool?
One thing that can be overseen easily in the setup through GTM is that you need to populate the page-hiding snippet with your Tag Manager container ID, not your Optimize container ID. Kind of a wild guess, but maybe too much page flickering causes Google to detect fake referrals?
I hope this was of any help to you Smiley Happy Let me know how it went.

Cheers!