Optimize
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand the information in your Optimize reports and in your Google Analytics reports.
Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I am having problems with my cross domain tracking flow and require some help.

I have two web sites,  one is the online shop the other is for  payments.

Both sites have the GA tracking code and GTM code [each site has it's on unique code].

I have followed the instructions on the  the google cross domain tracking tutorial using GTM.

GTM- tags- ga tag - field name + true - cookie domain + auto.

unfortunately i still see the shopping site as the main referral site   and i don't see the specific URL  that referred the user to the payment site.

I will add that the payment site is embedded as an i frame inside the shopping website in order to keep  a steady and comfortable flow for the users.

Any ides how to do this right?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Cross Domain Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Did you add both domains to the Referral Exclusion List in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info?

You will still see self referrals even with the correct setup, returning users will still have that referrer set when they come back as direct because the attribution in GA is last non direct source. They will disappear slowly as the users reach the campaign timeout (6 months by default). Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Cross Domain Tracking

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@Arnold M is right, it was would be to include a referral exclusion unless your second domain is a sub-domain and then the sub-domain is automatically included as a referral exclusion. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey arnold,

Thank you for you reply.

I added the shopping cart domain to the Exclusion list on the online store property.

Would i be able to see traffic [singled as UTM] as a single flow on the payment website property on GA? [ i remind you that the payment website is embedded on the store website.