8.3K members online now
Understand the information in your Optimize reports and in your Google Analytics reports.

Guide Me
favorite_border
Highlighted

Recommended way to pass experiment ID?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Has anyone found a way to pass experiment and variant ID to Analytics in order to view data outside of the experiment tab? I'm assuming this would have to be done through custom dimensions? I saw something that might be an experiment ID but couldn't find any documentation on it. 

Being able to segment based on experiment/variant ID would make analysis on click through rates or other secondary KPIs much easier than creating multiple goals in analytics, plus serve as another way to debug setup/implementation issues such as splitting, correct targeting, etc. Obviously this is more relevant for A/B and multivariate tests than redirect tests, since you can segment redirect test variations by URLs. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike X
yesterday

Re: Recommended way to pass experiment ID?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Optimize utilizes content experiments. Optimize experiment ID is exactly the same ID as the content experiment ID. So you can use the same segments to analyze your data.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No need for custom dimensions. Just create segments based on experiment ID (or experiment name) + variant (already available in Analytics). Create one segment for each variant and compare any data in Analytics.

Read more under step 8 here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4380401?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Don. The article you linked to is for Content Experiments. Do you know how to find and segment by Experiment ID for Optimize experiments? 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Ronen, I'm using GTM for testing Optimize now but will be switching to the recommended (on page) implementation if we end up deciding to use Optimize as our testing platform. Also I haven't been able to get your link to load.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike X
yesterday

Re: Recommended way to pass experiment ID?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Optimize utilizes content experiments. Optimize experiment ID is exactly the same ID as the content experiment ID. So you can use the same segments to analyze your data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This should do the trick - link Smiley Wink
Experiment ID/Variant - if you ran multiple experiments, you'll be able to choose the experiment ID from the drop-down menu. The same goes for Variant.