Optimize
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

is there a risk when Google optimize is down the pages is not loaded due to the hide script

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, is there a risk when Google optimize is down the pages is not loaded due to the hide script?

or, as stated here:

https://developers.google.com/optimize/devguides/pagehiding

Changing the timeout

To change the default amount of time Optimize will wait before removing the .async-hide class from the <html> element (in the event Optimize takes too long to load), update the number passed at the end of the snippet.

The following code will wait 5000 milliseconds before showing the page:

in the event Optimize takes too long to load; does that mean that the deafult page will load when optimze is down?

1 Expert replyverified_user

is there a risk when Google optimize is down the pages is not loaded due to the hide script

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi

Obviously this risk is hypothetical since Google Optimize is served by Google infrastructure.

But in the case that the optimize container script will not download for any reason, the effect is that the page will remain hidden until that timeout expires. At that point, the original page will be shown to the user, while that user will not participate in the experiment (not measured in any variation or for the original variation, but will still be measured for other non-experiment related Google Analytics reports).

In practice, as long as you haven't done some mistake with the Optimize snippet and followed the default instructions, the container will load before other resources of a typical page. At that time, it will unhide the page (individual elements that participate in the variation may still remain hidden as long as necessary - i.e. when you replace an image, until the new image has been downloaded).

Page hiding means simply that the async-hide class is added in the <html> element, so you could change the effect of what hiding means if you want (perhaps restrict it to an area of the page by changing the page hiding CSS rule to .async-hide .my-container {opacity: 0})