AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
2K members online now
2K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Variant url : can it be dynamic on a redirect test?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, we need to achieve the following:

when a user visits a URL of the form:

www.domain.com/whateverStart-variant1-whateverEnd

be redirected (to the defined experiment %) to :

www.domain.com/whateverStart-variant2-whateverEnd

whateverStart and whateverEnd can be dynamic and different per case and I want to catch them with one experiment and not define another experiment per case

Can something like the above be achieved?

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thanassis,

Did you manage to find a solution for this? It doesn’t look like it’s possible—or if it is, it’s not obvious how to set this up.

Thanks,

Dave.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, not really

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thanassis,

I’ve just managed to get this working. Our use case was a little different because I wanted to append a query to the end. For example, add “?hello=world” to the end of each URL and run the test site-wide.

To do this, I set up targeting for the URLs I wanted. Then for the variation redirection URL, instead of putting a full URL into the input field, I put “?hello=world”. This seems to then dynamically append that to the end of the URL I’m currently on.

Hope this help!

Dave.