Optimize
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Super unclear Documentation on the tag manager implementation page

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I am really not clear what this means in the tag manager setup documentation: ( under tag setup)

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/7164339

Click More settings, and configure the Fields to Set and Advanced Configuration with the same values as your Google Analytics tags.

What do they mean by set the same fields as our Google analytics tags. 

- Does this Google optimize tag replace the Google analytics snippet? ( unlikely) 

- do they mean use  custom dimensions. 

- what are the implications of not doing it. 

Super unclear!! please help! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jason O (Community Manager)
March

Re: Super unclear Documentation on the tag manager implementation page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

The Optimize tag does not replace the Universal Analytics tracking tag. Create a new tag, Google Optimize type and configure it the same way as your Universal Analytics tag is configured. Set the same fields (if any) and make the advanced configuration the same (if any).

optimize.png

The optimize tag does not have settings for custom dimensions.

Not using the same setup as the universal analytics tag would make tracking to work differently on your experiment pages.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Why do you need to add Linker and cookiedomain to the Optimize tag? ( assuming you use it in your GA params? ) 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Because the tags are working together, their settings must be consistent.

From the document you linked:

"Important: Since Google Optimize works in tandem with Google Analytics, the tracker settings of your Optimize tags (found under More settings) must be consistent with those of your Google Analytics tags. Using constant variables can help with consistency between tags by providing a single place to change a commonly-used value, such as your Analytics Tracking ID."

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Super unclear Documentation on the tag manager implementation page

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Arnold M Easy enough to carry over the "Fields to Set" to the Optimize tag. But how do we (or do we need to) carry over the Advertising feature from the Analytics Page View tag?

advertising-go.png