Optimize
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Page hide snippet on every page by default?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have implemented Optimize via Google Tag Manager. Can we put the page hide page snippet on every page of our site even if we are not running an experiment? Would "a dormant" script like this cause any issues? Is this recommended?

Right now don't have to involve developers to run experiments.But if we had to put the hide page snippet on select pages each time an experiment was run this would involve going to developers again and so would not be good.

Many thanks

Francis

1 Expert replyverified_user

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

While not required, the page-hiding snippet is recommended to avoid page flicker on webpages where you're running experiments. 

https://support.google.com/360suite/optimize/answer/7100284

You don't need to deploy the PH snippet on pages that you're not experimenting on.

Best,

Jason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does this mean, that if I deploy the hiding snippet on a page that has no running experiment, it will show a blank (opacity:0Smiley Wink page for 4 seconds ?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks very much. I don't see what you are quoting exactly: This is what is said: "Copy the full code below and add it to every page with Optimize" - If using tag manager Optimize will be on every page - although there will not always be an experiment on every page naturally. 

Are you able to answer my question - will having the code there by default cause issues? As clearly we don't want to manually remove and add code every time we experiment - this defeats the point of using tag manager.

Many thanks for your help

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

You should only use the page-hiding snippet on pages that you're experimenting on. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

But is there any negative affect of having the page-hiding snippet on pages that currently do not have an experiment running? Will the every page be hidden for 4 seconds before loading since there is not an Optimize experiment running on the page?

Code changes for our site are major undertakings and can take weeks to happen. If we have to manually add and remove the page hiding tag every time we run an A/B test on a webpage then we are going to be very limited on our experiments and how often we can run them.