Optimize
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Optimize Redirect < Analytics Experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So firstly, I'm shocked that Google Optimize doesn't integrate properly with GTM, it requires you manually add code before the GTM tag

So be it, BUT: 

The redirect code is a LOT worse than the Google Analytics Experiments code. It's shocking! It waits for an entire page load before finally redirecting people to the experiment version of the site. Yes, yes, I've implemented the 'page hide' so you don't see a flicker, you just see nothing for a good 1 to 2 seconds before it decides it will redirect you to the optimise experiment.

I can confirm this did NOT happen with Google Experiments. 

I assume Optimize works a little better with the on-page changes since it doesn't have to redirect people? I'm super sceptical. What a stuff up for a potentially great product.  

Has anyone else experienced this too?

Optimize Redirect &lt; Analytics Experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Honestly, if you have any coding chops, I would ditch GTM entirely, it's just not worth your time. Everything it does well can be done easily with basic HTML/JS knowledge, but mostly, it doesn't do things well. 

You're better off spending time planning out exactly what you need to integrate in your system and build the code for that.

Maybe there are other tools out there, if I could justify the expensive of Segment I would definitely give that a go.

Feeling very Jaded about the time I spent learning GTM only to realise just how truly limited it is. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Maurice,

Can you enumerate some of the limitations with GTM that you're referring to?

The product team definitely appreciates any/all constructive feedback.

Thanks,

Brian

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have same problem with setting optimize redirect, on desktop problem is not so obvious but on mobile the redirect takes around 7 seconds, 2 seconds to redirect to trigger and around 5 seconds of white screen on experiment version after the redirect (this is on mobile), the page is code heavy and not really optimized since is product page with lots of dynamic data but there is no way that javascript redirect takes that long, Same page redirect test in Analytics Experiments performs instantly, so the page code can not really be blamed for optimize poor redirect performance.